Complete list of links to Philippe's Napoleonic mods (with alternate addresses)

Started by Philippe, February 28, 2013, 07:53:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philippe

After a long vacation from Napoleonic modding, the revamping of the JTS games by WDS has brought me out of hibernation.

I've updated the Box link in my Napoleonic mods list (the first post in this thread) for Campaign Waterloo, but haven't done anything with the Dropbox link yet. The screenshots in this thread are also showing the old graphics, but with so many mods and links to update, fixing the window dressing will have to take a back seat to updating the series.

Here's a quote from the readme file:

This is version 6.0 of my Campaign Waterloo mod.

It should be copied over a clean installation of the latest WDS version of Campaign Waterloo. Previous versions of my mod will interfere with the way this one looks and works, so if you've installed an earlier version of my mod (such as 5.0) while you were waiting for me to come out of hibernation, I'm sorry but you'll have to start over again from scratch.

The mod is intended to be played with the background sounds ON and the music OFF.

The migration of the Napoleonic series from JTS to WDS has required a drastic overhaul of my mods. This will be the first of many revisions of all of my mods, and I'm pleased to note that the WDS versions have solved some of the problems I was having adapting my mods to the Peninsula campaign.

I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the new terrain graphics (both 2D and 3D) are quite acceptable as is. I may consider making a few adjustments for winter, spring, and fall textures down the road, but I see no reason to tinker with the terrain graphics at the moment.

For anyone suffering from nostalgia for the older versions of terrain graphics in my mods, inside the Map folder I've included a folder that preserves a late version of my 2D graphics and the EZjax 3D graphics).

I've also preserved parts of Ed Williams' Sound Pack in the Media folder. Version 5.0 had included the entire Sound Pack (by kind permission), and I look forward to the eventual revival of the Volcano Man site.

The core of my mod is about flags, and they appear in the background in the unitboxes as well as flying over the figures on the 3D map. Mounting specific flags over individual units is fairly labor-intensive, and I was relieved when I found that the High Res Map folder uses the same 3D unit textures and bases as the regular folder. I've put my 3D units and bases in the High Res Map folder so that it won't interfere with my mod, but I have NOT copied it to the traditional map folder (not liking the traditional textures is what drove me to make this mod in the first place).

unquote

The next two mods to be updated will probably be Campaign Eckmuhl and Campaign Wagram because they're fairly similar to Campaign Waterloo. I hope to get these done before Christmas, at which point I'll have a handle on how difficult it will be to convert the more ambitious mods.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Philippe

The Campaign Eckmuhl mod (version 5.0) has now been updated and adjusted to work with the WDS version of the game. The existing Box link (not the Dropbox link) in the first post of this thread will get you to the right place.

The mod needs to be installed over a CLEAN version of Campaign Waterloo. If it is installed over earlier versions of my mod, it won't do what it's supposed to do.

I had originally planned to release the Eckmuhl and Wagram updates at the same time, but after finishing the Wagram update I discovered that the base game hasn't been transformed into a WDS version to the same extent. So I'm not posting it for the moment, or at least until WDS comes out with a complete WDS overhaul of Campaign Wagram.

The Campaign Eckmuhl mod works in pretty much the same way as the the Campaign Waterloo mod. Here's a quote from the new readme file:

Version 5.0 of the Campaign Eckmuhl mod.

It should be copied over a clean installation of the latest WDS version of Campaign Eckmuhl. Previous versions of my mod will interfere with the way this one looks and works, so if you've installed an earlier version of my mod (such as 4.3) while you were waiting for me to come out of hibernation, I'm sorry but you'll have to start over again from scratch.

The mod is intended to be played with the background sounds ON and the music OFF.

The migration of the Napoleonic series from JTS to WDS has required a drastic overhaul of my mods. This will be the first of many revisions of all of my mods, and I'm pleased to note that the WDS versions have solved some of the problems I was having adapting my mods to the Peninsula campaign.

I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the new terrain graphics (both 2D and 3D) are quite acceptable as is. I may consider making a few adjustments for winter, spring, and fall textures down the road, but I see no reason to tinker with the terrain graphics at the moment.

For anyone suffering from nostalgia for the older versions of terrain graphics in my mods, inside the Map folder I've included a folder that preserves a late version of my 2D graphics and the EZjax 3D graphics).

I've also preserved parts of Ed Williams' Sound Pack in the Media folder. Version 4.3 had included the entire Sound Pack (by kind permission), and I look forward to the eventual revival of the Volcano Man site.

The core of my mod is about flags, and they appear in the background in the unitboxes as well as flying over the figures on the 3D map. Mounting specific flags over individual units is fairly labor-intensive, and I was relieved when I found that the High Res Map folder uses the same 3D unit textures and bases as the regular folder. I've put my 3D units and bases in the High Res Map folder so that it won't interfere with my mod, but I have NOT copied it to the traditional map folder (not liking the traditional textures is what drove me to make this mod in the first place).

unquote

Strela

Hi Philippe,

I also posted this on your post over at Matrix.

Wagram (and all the Napoleonic titles) should be a 'full' WDS version. Did you use the full installer (mis file) or did you update an existing installation with an update/patch from our site? Need to understand which path you went so I can emulate the steps.

Thanks,

David

Philippe

The Waterloo mod has been updated to 6.2 and the Eckmuhl mod has been updated to 5.1 to correct a minor but highly visible and annoying error in the 2D magnified symbols file.

The Box links (but not the Dropbox links) in the first post of this thread will take you to the corrected version.

Philippe

My next re-release was delayed because I kept finding annoying little glitches in the 2D and 3D symbols files that kept creeping back into the mod when I wasn't looking.

I have now updated and harmonized three of the Napoleonic mods with the WDS version. These are the Waterloo mod version 6.3, the Eckmuhl mod version 5.4, and the Marengo mod version 2.0.

As a reminder, I'm going to spend any modding energy I still have on updating the mod and finishing the series before I do anything about the screenshots, so the screenshots in the first post show what the game looked like before the WDS version.

The Marengo mod is only version 2.0 because there is still some tinkering to be done. The current cover music is something of a placeholder, and will probably be replaced by a clip from Mendelssohn's Italian Symphony if I ever get around to moving my sound-editing software from my old Windows 7 computer. For those who care about such things, I've included a units_alt file that has a background flag for the 14th Legere in the Info folder. The Marengo mod spurred me to roll out a new set of self-explanatory symbols for supply wagons that have been retro-fitted to the Waterloo and Eckmuhl mods. The magnified 2D symbol for naval units is new; the 3D symbols existed in the older mod and are derived from the old Talonsoft Age of Sail game via my mod for the war between Russian and Sweden over Finland in 1809.

As always, the Box links to these three mods (Waterloo 6.3, Eckmuhl 5.4, and Marengo 2.0) can be found in the first post of this thread. I haven't decided what to do about the Dropbox links, but for the moment they aren't needed.

Once again, make sure that you install the Marengo mod over a clean un-odded copy of the WDS version of Marengo. The mod is designed to be played with the Background sound on, and the music off.