Fallout 3 on Win 7?

Started by Toonces, March 08, 2012, 12:20:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

Hello all.  I can't seem to get Fallout 3 to run stably on my new computer with windows 7.

After installation I was getting an error about a missing "ordnal 5670 xlive.dll" or something like that.  I googled it and it seems to be related to Games for Windows Live or something like that. 

A proposed solution was to use Fallout Manager (FMM), and under tools tick the box for "fake xlive" or something like that- basically trick the game into thinking you had a Games for Windows Live account.

It worked, I was able to get the game running and played it successfully for about a half hour.  But then it crashed (locked), and upon restart it played for about 5 minutes and then crashed again.  5 more minutes and another crash and that's when I moved on to Metro 2033.

Does anyone have F3 working with Win7, and if so, can you help me with this error?  I'm having real difficulty understanding a lot of the posts on other forums from people who had this problem...I guess I'm just too articulate.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Fetrik

The game haven't crashed for me a single time using win 7 x64. But tbh i've only played it 81 minutes...

James Sterrett

Skip using Windows Live by launching it directly from the Fallout.exe (or similar named exe file) in the program's install directory.  Runs for me that way in Win7x64; there are periodic crashes (very unpredictably, but maybe every 8 hours or so?) so keep saving.

eyebiter

Silent Disapproval Robot

I had the same lockup issues and ended up going to an Arrrr Matey site to get a crack.  Kinda sad that I had to resort to that just to get a product that I paid for to work properly.

Nefaro

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on May 27, 2012, 11:54:34 AM
I had the same lockup issues and ended up going to an Arrrr Matey site to get a crack.  Kinda sad that I had to resort to that just to get a product that I paid for to work properly.

The wonders of modern DRM.  ::)

I've also had to resort to such measures to bypass buggy DRM.  Ridiculous.

Sad thing is - we'll all being digging for such workarounds a few years down the road, for some of these games we're currently buying.