Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CaptainKoloth

Will do! And in my case I'm upgrading from an i7-6700 and GTX 1080 so I'm expecting pretty massive improvement and much higher settings than I'm currently on.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: CaptainKoloth on October 19, 2022, 02:28:18 PM
Will do! And in my case I'm upgrading from an i7-6700 and GTX 1080 so I'm expecting pretty massive improvement and much higher settings than I'm currently on.

Yes. I think that is a safe assumption.  :crazy2:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Skoop

I have the same specs as jar except I have the 3090ti, built mine over the summer and custom loop liquid cooled it.  It's an absolute master piece and gobbles up dcs like butter.  It powers a 48" oled monitor that runs at 120hrtz.  I'll post some pics next week as I'm out on a trip, but my set up is for all things flight, not any one specific aircraft. 

Gusington

Thanks Father Ted - I don't want to derail this thread any further but I could swear I have seen a few other VR WWI flight sims available besides Flying Circus. I'll start a new thread.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Destraex

Quote from: Skoop on October 19, 2022, 03:04:28 PM
I have the same specs as jar except I have the 3090ti, built mine over the summer and custom loop liquid cooled it.  It's an absolute master piece and gobbles up dcs like butter.  It powers a 48" oled monitor that runs at 120hrtz.  I'll post some pics next week as I'm out on a trip, but my set up is for all things flight, not any one specific aircraft.

Just so that I may help with performance and power consumption\heat. I noticed my DCS was running at 160FPS after wondering why my PC fans were going crazy!!! Turning vsync on seemed to limit it to 60FPS.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Skoop

That's the beauty of my system, it hums along in dcs at 120 fps and barely hear fans with a dual radiator custom loop liquid cooling with both cpu and gpu under water blocks.

Destraex

Quote from: Skoop on October 19, 2022, 11:17:15 PM
That's the beauty of my system, it hums along in dcs at 120 fps and barely hear fans with a dual radiator custom loop liquid cooling with both cpu and gpu under water blocks.
Very nice. I remember some games that would just burn video cards up at the main menu.
I have water cooling as well with a 3 fan radiator. My fan settings probably need to be tuned. But it serves as a good warning to me as I don't need 160fps in DCS.

Destraex

Did anybody grab anything in the sale at all? The Halloween sale on right now?

Destraex

The Black Stump restaurant model continues... nobody in their right mind orders dinner without a voucher.

Skoop

I got the P47 in the last sale from 2 weeks ago and absolutely loved it.  Probably the best simulated WWII aircraft in DCS, it feels just like every detail I've ever heard about the jug from books.  I flew the jug a bit in IL2, but the nature of PVP in that sim doesn't do it justice....It's way better presented in DCS.

Destraex

Yeah I agree. DCS just feels right in any of the full fidelity aircraft I have flown in it. il2 always felt like it lacked something in the flight characteristics.
I'd love to get the JUG at some point. I do love that thing. But I am trying to learn the jets and choppers I have currently. The mossie is another i'd love to get. The guys I play with play il2 for ww2 stuff. So not much point at the moment.

I will probably try to use the Sabre and Mig-15 I have owned for while before I do ww2.

I got Syria and the AH-64 in the last sale. I want the Falklands but have been reading and watching how early access and barren it is. It's expensive for what it is right now.

DCS just has so many cool modules both in game and coming right now. They are not simple placeholders as they would be in other games either. You really learn things from the DCS modules. Everything works, nothing is a gimick.

Skoop

After what enigma has done with the Cold War craze, I've found that every aircraft in dcs has a purpose and place.  I've now flown every aircraft in my hanger, and some had me scratching my head why I got it...but some of these themed dcs servers have created a cool niche for aircraft that would go dormant in your hanger.  Never thought I'd fly the viggen in 2022, but on enigma server it's one of the most effective aircraft.

Destraex

Quote from: Skoop on November 25, 2022, 07:28:55 PM
After what enigma has done with the Cold War craze, I've found that every aircraft in dcs has a purpose and place.  I've now flown every aircraft in my hanger, and some had me scratching my head why I got it...but some of these themed dcs servers have created a cool niche for aircraft that would go dormant in your hanger.  Never thought I'd fly the viggen in 2022, but on enigma server it's one of the most effective aircraft.

Just checked that server out. Looks really good, favourited it. One of my friends however (from America) could not see it in his server list. A guy I play with on the BETA regulalry.

mikeck

Quote from: Skoop on November 25, 2022, 07:28:55 PM

agree!
With the new "Tempest" server, the Mirage has a place! It's a very busy server and is "built around" the Mirage vs Mig-29. There are other aircraft like the F-14A but generally, it's a fox-1 server with no F-18s or F-16s

On another note, the South Atantic/Falklands map just got a huge update. More finished terrain, the new lighting engines and several new airbases. It is -by far- the most beautiful map in the game. Unfortunately, the game hasn't caught up, so there are not many MP servers using it, no campaigns, no liberation campaign options and very few User made missions. You're stuck with the ME. But flying around the southern/western portion of Patagonia is stunning.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

Information on the status of multithreading in today's newsletter...

To date, DCS has performed most of the computational workload on a single thread (some audio components were moved to a separate thread). This was not a problem in most cases because the Graphics Processor Unit (GPU) did most of the work, and FPS was mostly limited by the performance of the GPU.

As DCS evolved, GPUs have become much more powerful whilst the performance of a single CPU core remained practically unchanged. Instead, CPU manufacturers increased the number of cores rather than the clock speed of individual cores. As a consequence, DCS performance has become CPU-limited. In parallel, DCS World has become much more complex with increased reliance on CPU calculations that has exacerbated the problem.

To improve efficiency of CPU resources usage, we have reworked the core of our engine. First, at the architectural level, it has been divided into two main threads: graphical and logical. This opens up new possibilities for further thread parallelization of calculations in both the logical and graphical parts of the engine independently.

Second, to meet the requirements of scalable multithreading, and the needs of modern graphics APIs, the graphical engine part has been significantly enhanced. In addition, many subsystems have been updated, or written from scratch. 

Internal testing has begun, and we plan to release the updated DCS graphic engine (EDGE) next year. The initial release of Multithreading support will contain a fully reworked engine including preparation of the graphical frame and the separation of the graphical and logical parts onto two independent threads. 

It should also be noted that the most significant performance improvements will be regarding larger missions. This will be a welcomed change, especially in multiplayer where unit numbers are typically far higher. VR performance will also see a significant performance improvement in large missions.

Stay tuned for upcoming releases.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18