Wargame: Red Dragon

Started by Jarhead0331, March 29, 2014, 10:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jomni

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 04, 2016, 02:48:47 PM
The R.U.S.E. game wasn't quite like the Wargame series, but close enough to count as the WW2 forerunner. Not sure why it wouldn't be on Steam -- my tentative guess would be the stupid UPlay requirements, but that hasn't stopped other things.  :crazy2:

I played it quite a while on PS3, back when I largely gave up PC games for a couple of years. Never did beat it -- couldn't quite figure out the best way to win the... Anzio invasion mission? (Can't recall.) It was a great (if sometimes salty) little cinematic RTS.

I bought Ruse from Steam.  But I guess it's not being offered anymore. 

Tpek

Yikes, Ruse indeed disappeared from my Steam library without any notice.

undercovergeek

I think there are some hoops to jump through if you already own it, but for new purchases - it's gooooone

Apocalypse 31

I still think RUSE is a superior game.

Much less micromanagement, more focus on tactics.

I wish they would follow up with a RUSE 2 focused in a modern day setting. I think modern ruses would be more applicable, and of course modern equipment would be great.

Hofstadter

I really wish I could get into Wargame, but the community is too hardcore. Rich coming from me.

But these people just seem to know every stat to every weapon. So to me it seems like less strategy and more...gaming the system.

I make no sense
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: Hofstadter on October 05, 2016, 07:10:54 AM
But these people just seem to know every stat to every weapon. So to me it seems like less strategy and more...gaming the system.

This. The community more closely resembles an esport, rather than a game of war.

RyanE

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on October 05, 2016, 08:13:44 AM
Quote from: Hofstadter on October 05, 2016, 07:10:54 AM

This. The community more closely resembles an esport, rather than a game of war.

That is exactly how I feel.  Its not about any connection to the real world, its all about buffing and nerfing.  The constant cry for buffing this or nerfing that completely turned me off the forums.   I still crank it up once in a while and play it for 30 minutes.  Then I go back to Steel Beasts.

I do find it interesting just perusing the database though.

bboyer66

I have tried to like this game but it just does not do it for me. The close up visuals are stunning, yet you rarely have a chance to zoom in and see them. 

Jarhead0331

Quote from: bboyer66 on October 05, 2016, 08:31:35 AM
I have tried to like this game but it just does not do it for me. The close up visuals are stunning, yet you rarely have a chance to zoom in and see them.

Why not? You can practically stop the action in the game. Furthermore, there is a wonderful replay feature that records everything and you can move to any point on the battlefield and view the action from any angle as much as you like.

Once again, I encourage you to learn how to play the game and give it another shot.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JasonPratt

And would many of the complaints be null if playing the campaign game instead of mp?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 05, 2016, 11:20:54 AM
And would many of the complaints be null if playing the campaign game instead of mp?

I avoid the campaigns. I think they are brutally difficult and pretty superficial. For me, skirmish is where it is at.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

undercovergeek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 05, 2016, 11:30:04 AM

I avoid the campaigns. I think they are brutally difficult and pretty superficial. For me, skirmish is where it is at.

Agree with JH - build a deck and go skirmish, 'soldiers' for grown ups

Jarhead0331

Quote from: undercovergeek on October 05, 2016, 11:53:44 AM

Agree with JH - build a deck and go skirmish, 'soldiers' for grown ups

undercover raises a good point. Deck building is half the fun. Play a few games with stock decks, find out what your play style is and then knock yourself out pouring through the OOBs to construct a deck that suits your strategies. I'm a defensive player overall, so I like having enough armor and mechanized infantry to quickly seize objectives, consolidate a defense and hold, while advancing further when possible. I also like having some airmobile infantry for emergencies or vertical envelopment. Finally, having enough supply and logistics is critical, as is anti-air, rotary and fixed wing support. I save just enough points for a few artillery pieces, but since I'm usually on the defense for most of the game, its difficult to maximize arty effectiveness on an enemy who is usually on the offense and highly mobile. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Apocalypse 31

This is an unfortunate truth for me. The campaign has all the ingredients to be enjoyable, but I find it extremely difficult but not so challenging.

QuoteDeck building is half the fun
I have probably spent 90% of my time in game just building decks.

AchillesLastStand

Love the game/series, but my only gripe with WRD is the deck restrictions. It worked fine without them in EE and WALB, so why change it?