Dominion - it's everywhere!

Started by bayonetbrant, January 27, 2012, 09:57:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

OK folks...  if you're not playing Dominion, you're missing out!  It's got the deck-construction fun of a CCG, the city-building civ-flavor you'd want in something fun, and with discreet, themed sets, you can pick and choose what to play with and not break the bank.

There's also plenty of places to play digitally.

dominion.isotropic.org has all the different cards, a nice auto match feature for opponents, and a clean, fast interface, but looks like a late-80s BBS layout

boardgamearena.com doesn't have every set, but the ones they have include the licensed art from RGG.  The interface also feels like you're playing a board game than isotropic's does

Androminion is a remarkable Android adaptation of the game that lets you play against a selection of AIs.  The new v2.0 that just dropped is freakin' sweet.  It's got all the expansions through Hinterlands, has about 6 different AIs you can pick and choose, and some nice random card options.  Great for when you're stuck sitting in line at the DMV.

Who else is playing Dominion and what do y'all think?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

LongBlade

I played it once and it was good.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

bayonetbrant

lemme know when you want to get a game going on isotropic.  I need new butts to kick! ;D

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

Is this just a digital game?  It sounds like it's right in my wheelhouse.  I'm unusually strapped for cash at the moment, but as things free up later in the year, I'd like to look into it.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bayonetbrant

No, it's a tabletop card game. But there are free-to-play digital versions. Whenever you're ready, let me know and we'll set up a time to teach you.

TheCommandTent

I've played a couple times with friends and found it pretty fun.  Another game with lots of options that you would need to play enough to develop a strategy.  Im not sure how I would like playing the digital version as I like all the pretty cards :)
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

son_of_montfort

I have transcended Dominion as far as deck building games go.

The latest "hotness" in X-building games is Quarriors!, a dice-building game. The wife likes these types of games and she was fairly excited about Quarriors. It was quick to play (about 30 minutes or less), fairly exciting, full of about 150 dice, and just the right balance of random and strategy. It is the perfect "filler" game to play between two more involved games. Pic below:

The Game:

A pile of dice!

I've also heard good things about the deck building games Nightfall and Rune Age. Both of them inject a bit more "war" and "conflict" into the genre, as Dominion is sorely lacking in player interaction besides the off Hag or Thief card.

If you haven't gotten Dominion: Seaside, I strongly suggest doing so. It adds some really good mechanics (like cards that persist for two turns and some more player interaction). Also pirates.

I've also heard good things about Thunderstone, which is a deck building, dungeon-crawl game. And there seems to be a Facebook version of that one.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

spelk

If you like Dominion, but want a similar wargame themed game, don't forget to try A Few Acres of Snow over at http://yucata.de. Free to play, deck buildining mechanic, outpost capturing boardgame, all centered around the French and Indian War.

I also noticed there was a free iOS version of Dominion out, with an official release coming soon.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dominion-by-donald-x.-vaccarino/id447395574?mt=8

bayonetbrant

Quote from: spelk on January 31, 2012, 03:24:05 AM
If you like Dominion, but want a similar wargame themed game, don't forget to try A Few Acres of Snow over at http://yucata.de. Free to play, deck buildining mechanic, outpost capturing boardgame, all centered around the French and Indian War.

I also noticed there was a free iOS version of Dominion out, with an official release coming soon.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dominion-by-donald-x.-vaccarino/id447395574?mt=8

I keep wanting to try it, and I keep getting foiled for time given the house move we're in the middle of.

And for a free mobile version of the game, there's also Androminion for 'droids.  (I think I mentioned that above...)

bayonetbrant

Quote from: son_of_montfort on January 30, 2012, 11:15:11 PM
I have transcended Dominion as far as deck building games go.

The latest "hotness" in X-building games is Quarriors!, a dice-building game. The wife likes these types of games and she was fairly excited about Quarriors. It was quick to play (about 30 minutes or less), fairly exciting, full of about 150 dice, and just the right balance of random and strategy. It is the perfect "filler" game to play between two more involved games.

That looks like something I'd want a demo of before taking the plunge, but also looks like something my son might really get a kick out of.

I've also heard good things about the deck building games Nightfall and Rune Age. Both of them inject a bit more "war" and "conflict" into the genre, as Dominion is sorely lacking in player interaction besides the off Hag or Thief card.

I have Rune Age but not yet taken the time to get it on the table and figure it out.  I need to do that some time.

If you haven't gotten Dominion: Seaside, I strongly suggest doing so. It adds some really good mechanics (like cards that persist for two turns and some more player interaction). Also pirates.
that one.

Seaside is my favorite expansion, but the new Hinterlands is catching up quickly.  There are some nice new cards that alter the traditional flow of the game in interesting ways.  The "Tournament" card in Cornucopia is also a nice change to player interaction mechanisms.  Check out the text of the card, and the prizes, here: http://dominion.diehrstraits.com/?set=Cornucopia

son_of_montfort

QuoteThat looks like something I'd want a demo of before taking the plunge, but also looks like something my son might really get a kick out of.

The initial price is high for Quarriors. But I finally jumped in and did it and I am glad I did. We have only played twice (got it last week), but I can see it being a great "play while I set up a much larger game" type thing for my group. Your son will absolutely love it - kids love dice!
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

bayonetbrant

I'm on isotropic right now playing over my lunch break

republic

I really enjoy Dominion.  I haven't gotten to play it much, but it is one of the only 'geekier' boardgames I can get my non-wargamer friends to play.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: republic on February 02, 2012, 06:59:49 PM
I really enjoy Dominion.  I haven't gotten to play it much, but it is one of the only 'geekier' boardgames I can get my non-wargamer friends to play.

check out the online sites I mentioned above.  You'll get lots of chances to play!  :D

bayonetbrant

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 31, 2012, 12:33:22 PM
I'm on isotropic right now playing over my lunch break

back on again - if anyone out there wants to join me!