What toys did you have as a kid?

Started by besilarius, February 18, 2012, 10:29:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

How many of these toys did you know about as a kid?

http://www.thepeoplehistory.com/60stoys.html

Come on!  Be honest.  We're all old farts here!
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Barthheart

I had about 8 of those items.... including the vintage rotary desk phone, in black, which is still in use in my workshop!

Epee1

What the heck, those were all GIRLIE toys.  I had toy firearms up till I was allowed to go hunting with my father which was around 10 years of age.

The toy firearms in those days looked like the real thing.  Not the crap they put out for the girlie boys we have now.  There were toy machine guns mounted on tripods, cannons that shot projectiles 30 ft.  turretts with twin .30 cal machine guns, missle silos, nuclear subs that shot torpedos and missles, plastic knives you could practically kill someone with.  Tripwire gernades with caps, and handgernades.  Ahhh, those were the days that shaped boys minds toward manly things.  ;D ;)

Steelgrave

I had rocks.

Ok, just kidding. GI Joe, the original...hell yes! Tons of accessories, a locker filled with uniforms and weapons (kinda like Jarhead's house, no doubt!). A couple of the land vehicles. The accessory I wanted the most I never got, but there was a Gemini space capsule for your GI Joe astronaut. Seriously cool!

Legos, a phonograph record player, God knows how many Matchbox cars...the Spirograph was one of the few things my sister and I both played with. The Hot Wheels racing set had an additional bonus in that you and a sibling could each take a piece of the plastic track and swordfight (pre-Nerf days), beating the crap out of each other before Mom yelled for us to go outside.

Martok

I played with roughly half the toys listed on there, although I only actually owned a few of them.  I had a bunch of Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars, of course, and our family owned the CandyLand game. 

However, for me, Legos easily dominates that list.  Between your standard Basic sets, a bunch of Space and Star Wars sets, and a few City sets, I easily own (yes, present tense!) over 10,000 bricks. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Barthheart

Quote from: Martok on February 18, 2012, 03:50:02 PM
... I easily own (yes, present tense!) over 10,000 bricks.

>:( I'd have about the same if my mother had not given (not even sold!  :P ) them all away when I was gone for my first year of university!!!!

MIGMaster

Ihad had a fewof them,  but my fav was the GI Joe jeep with the recoiless rifle. I loved that thing man ! I used to fill up the jeep and trailer with my GI Joes and Big Jim's - remember those !

bayonetbrant

OK, look, I wasn't born 'til 72, but I did play with a handful of those things - either in updated form or with ones laying around family houses.

Spirograph
GI Joe
Ideal Printing Press
Mousetrap
Legos
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Keunert

Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

Steelgrave

Quote from: Keunert on February 29, 2012, 02:36:55 PM
Commodore Amiga 500
My first computer was the Commodore 64. When my brother gave me his Commodore 128 I thought I was in heaven  8)

MIGMaster

You guys have me there - the first PC I used in any serious fashion was an 8086 with the groovy 5.25 drives.

Barthheart

My first computer my Dad and I bought was a Sinclair ZX80 1 kb of RAM. We splurged and bought the 16KB RAM upgrade for $200!

First computer I bought was a Commodor C64 with a cassette drive! Later added a floppy drive. Used that to the end of University, even writing my 4th year project on it....

Epee1

Had one of these when I was just a lad.  The great Mighty Mo Howitzer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Svet_A0I65w

Epee1