What toys did you have as a kid?

Started by besilarius, February 18, 2012, 10:29:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

Great idea for a thread.

Here's just one of the toys I had as a kid.  Believe it or not I never had the actual action figure.  But I put this puppy to good use in other ways.

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

meadbelly

Quote from: LongBlade on March 02, 2012, 11:34:05 AM
My greatest love was Legos.

I can remember when we finally got Legos angled at 45 degrees. That was huge.

I used to build spaceships with them and then draw the blueprints on graph paper.

Guess maybe I should have been a naval architect of something.

I should take a shot of the current lego assemblies I've got on the display case behind me at this moment. I played when I was young, and I play now to stay young.  (And poor. Damn they aren't cheap.) 

I promise I post this not to torture you, LB. The link is a youtube video of construction of a stealth submersible aircraft carrier in Lego as a college application to the Singapore University of Technology and Design. The guy got in, btw.

(ok, I don't know how to embed youtube)

http://youtu.be/RpZPtgFOKes

Martok

Quote from: meadbelly on June 07, 2012, 09:32:34 AM
I promise I post this not to torture you, LB. The link is a youtube video of construction of a stealth submersible aircraft carrier in Lego as a college application to the Singapore University of Technology and Design. The guy got in, btw.

(ok, I don't know how to embed youtube)

http://youtu.be/RpZPtgFOKes

Awesome.  Now I'm aroused. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

meadbelly

I think this probably condemns me to some knobby plastic ledge in nerd heaven (if I'm lucky), but I've built custom lego sets to use in my Shadowrun, Traveller,  and GURPS campaigns. As recently as this year.

Spaceships for Traveller (the Strong Persuader), combat and civilian vehicles for Shadowrun, and Martian ground and v/tol craft for GURPS Moderns.

I'm currently contemplating building a lego 3d DnD dungeon. I've already got some trolls and ork lego minis, but the LOTR sets are going to be a big help for mobs. 

MetalDog

Shout out for Girders and Panels!  I had a whole drawer filled with those!  And shout out for the Six Million Dollar Man spacecraft that W8 posted.  I had that, too.  There was G.I. Joe and Legos.  Board games.  Matchbox and Hot Wheels.  ALL that stuff! 
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

TheCommandTent

Quote from: meadbelly on June 08, 2012, 01:28:01 AM
I think this probably condemns me to some knobby plastic ledge in nerd heaven (if I'm lucky), but I've built custom lego sets to use in my Shadowrun, Traveller,  and GURPS campaigns. As recently as this year.

Spaceships for Traveller (the Strong Persuader), combat and civilian vehicles for Shadowrun, and Martian ground and v/tol craft for GURPS Moderns.

I'm currently contemplating building a lego 3d DnD dungeon. I've already got some trolls and ork lego minis, but the LOTR sets are going to be a big help for mobs.

I really hope you have some pictures of some of those that you have made.  I know I would like to see them, they sound awesome!
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Keunert

we had several of these, basically the only 'game time' i shared with my father. he helped me and my brother building it and then we went to fly it by pulling it up with a thin fisher cord.
the only technical equipment on it was a timer that prevented it from flying endless. still we lost one once.
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

eyebiter

Tonka trucks back when they were made of metal and covered with lead paint.

Bolt action 1903 style rifle with the fake shell and the working metal bolt

GI Joe with the Kung Fu grip

Jack Nastyface

I STILL have the Marx Fort Apache playset at my parent's basement

http://www.thestrong.org/online-collections/nmop/1/32/93.923

Also still have these:

Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

Staggerwing

Legos. No minifigs, no special scifi-looking pieces, just bricks, wheels, and clear parts at a 450 angle.

Before that, mud and sticks. And rocks.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Windigo

Quote from: Staggerwing on November 12, 2012, 08:54:33 PM
Legos. No minifigs, no special scifi-looking pieces, just bricks, wheels, and clear parts at a 450 angle.

and a pet gopher on a twine leash....
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Windigo on November 13, 2012, 11:28:18 AM

Now you're just projecting...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Windigo

Quote from: Staggerwing on November 13, 2012, 07:20:52 PM
Quote from: Windigo on November 13, 2012, 11:28:18 AM

Now you're just projecting...

LMAO... I am soooo fucking busted on that one  +2

... and it was a baby porcupine
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Longdan

We collected a bounty for gopher (Richardson's Ground Squirrel) tails.
You could have amazing "gopher fights" with the gophers on the strings
you snared them with.  After they were put to death the bounty went
to buy those 48 cent boxes of airfix 1/72 soldiers from the hobby shop.
Took a lot of tails though.  When we lived in USA i got several hundred Marx
plastic figures. Back around the turn of the century my Mom found them
and without telling me sold them to their paper boy for a couple of bucks.
I told her what they were worth and she said in Mom fashion 'Tough shit."
cheers
digni enim sunt interdicunt

FarAway Sooner

I had one GI Joe Action figure, the Hot Wheels City, the games Mouse Trap and CandyLand, and a Spirograph at the very least.  I never got the Spirograph to work, I'll admit...