The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

Started by TheCommandTent, January 30, 2012, 10:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCommandTent

Anyone else have The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game produced by Fantasy Flight Games?  http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=129

It can be played solo or with two people cooperatively.  I've played through the first adventure with a friend and it was fun, and we almost lost!  Now that I have a better understanding of the rules I'll try it again.  Its considered a 'Living Card Game' so they release expansion packs every so often with new adventures.

The artwork on the cards is absolutely outstanding and the quality is quite nice as well.  Since they don't have the license from the LOTR movies the artwork is a different take on the characters and places.  While there is nothing wrong with the movie depictions its nice to see some one else interpretation of the books.

Anyone else try this game or the expansions out yet?  Right now I just have the base set.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Arctic Blast

Quote from: SCDJ on January 30, 2012, 10:30:01 PM
Anyone else have The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game produced by Fantasy Flight Games?  http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=129

It can be played solo or with two people cooperatively.  I've played through the first adventure with a friend and it was fun, and we almost lost!  Now that I have a better understanding of the rules I'll try it again.  Its considered a 'Living Card Game' so they release expansion packs every so often with new adventures.

The artwork on the cards is absolutely outstanding and the quality is quite nice as well.  Since they don't have the license from the LOTR movies the artwork is a different take on the characters and places.  While there is nothing wrong with the movie depictions its nice to see some one else interpretation of the books.

Anyone else try this game or the expansions out yet?  Right now I just have the base set.

I very recently picked this up as well. Also grabbed the big Khazad-Dum expansion because my usual online board game merchant had a slightly dinged copy for a nice discount, but I haven't really checked that out yet. So far, I like it. Played the first scenario a couple of times, and was obliterated once attempting the second.

bboyer66

I am enjoying it. Think the best way to play solo is with two decks just as if two people were playing. Seems that you can be overwhelmed early if only using one deck. You are also kind of limited in your options when only using one deck.

Pak40

I got a copy a couple months before Christmas and have played twice so far. I barely won the first time and had to opt not to play with shadow effects to make it. The second time I played as a two player game and changed my strategy to defeat all the enemy baddies that I encountered the first time. Unfortunately the deck turned up mostly locations and they ended up stacking up a lot of threat. I could not overcome it.

It's a great game  and so far very challenging. I look forward to a lot more games.

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Pak40

LB, what's up? Nice to see another site devoted to gaming.

LongBlade

Quote from: Pak40 on February 08, 2012, 03:49:07 PM
LB, what's up? Nice to see another site devoted to gaming.

Gaming? This site is dedicated to scantily clad women! The games are just an excuse.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Pak40

:o err, did I say gaming? I meant boobs.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Pak40 on February 08, 2012, 10:08:56 PM
:o err, did I say gaming? I meant boobs.

Boobs ARE gaming...right? I know I like playing em...

FarAway Sooner

I've played this one a couple times and definintely enjoyed it.  Never done the collectible card game before, so I'm probably a noob there, but the atmosphere is really cool and the artwork is great.  It's definitely a tough balancing act--I've played the intro scenario 4 times and only won it once, but I haven't started building my own decks yet. 

I think the advanced scenarios are almost impossible to win with one of the standard (non-customized) decks, but proper use of the cards and puzzling out the combos can get pretty cool.