Hobbit expansions for LotR Living Card Game series...

Started by JasonPratt, January 18, 2014, 11:00:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

...so, why exactly is the core set necessary?

Because what little I've been able to turn up (from YT and elsewhere) so far, makes it seem (though this hasn't been said straight out) like it's a total conversion using new cards.

(This question came up in another thread, and I'm porting it here to its own topic, in case anyone knows or I finally run across the answer elsewhere.)

Those are some rather chunky investments in themselves, so if the core LotR:LCG (and the first big expansion??) isn't necessary, or doesn't substantially add to the experience in such a way that playing without it would be pauce (even though technically possible), then obviously it would be better to wait to buy the core game later.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Nefaro

The expansions generally don't have the extra base parts, the main rules, etc.

I would also be surprised if it didn't use some cards from the base set.  If it's labelled as an expansion, then there's a reason it's not labelled as a standalone product right?

Bison

The other part to consider is that it's recommended to have two base LotR games for multiplayer games.

PanzersEast

Quote from: JasonPratt on January 18, 2014, 11:00:24 PM
...so, why exactly is the core set necessary?

Because what little I've been able to turn up (from YT and elsewhere) so far, makes it seem (though this hasn't been said straight out) like it's a total conversion using new cards.

(This question came up in another thread, and I'm porting it here to its own topic, in case anyone knows or I finally run across the answer elsewhere.)

Those are some rather chunky investments in themselves, so if the core LotR:LCG (and the first big expansion??) isn't necessary, or doesn't substantially add to the experience in such a way that playing without it would be pauce (even though technically possible), then obviously it would be better to wait to buy the core game later.

You have to have the core to play.  I have it and have enjoyed it quit a bit. The quest get really tough however, but I highly suggest starting out with the core box and playing through that several time before spanning out (Core box is required for all expansions).  There are several expansions you want before others and I have a list somewhere.  I have not purchased any yet as I am still playing the core game.  The core box has some very good cards as well that are included.

This is a great website for looking at cards and seeing what come in which expansion deck http://www.lotrlcg.com/

PE

Nefaro

TheCommandTent

I have just the core set and found the game fun enough.  However, I really enjoy looking at all the great art on the cards.  I wish I could get some of the characters and smalls scenes as paintings to hang in my house.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

JasonPratt

My subsequent research seems to indicate that it isn't technically impossible to play without the core set (so long as you know the rules), but it would be prohibitively difficult because players need (or at least ought to have) the ability to work effects from the core game into their decks. (Does that seem right PE?)

I gather two players can work with one core box, a second core box is required for three to four players.

Similarly, because of the inherent dwarf theme, the Khazad-dum main expansion is recommended for providing Thorin and Co. extra dwarven oomph.

So, feasibly, it would be one core, one KD, and then the two hobbit sets.

(Up until recently none of the main expansions and their sub-expansion sets dealt with the actual LotR story, which has just started with the main "Black Riders" expansion set. Everything before then has been prequel material, naturally including the two Hobbit sets. Does that seem right?)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

PanzersEast

Quote from: JasonPratt on January 20, 2014, 09:47:55 AM
My subsequent research seems to indicate that it isn't technically impossible to play without the core set (so long as you know the rules), but it would be prohibitively difficult because players need (or at least ought to have) the ability to work effects from the core game into their decks. (Does that seem right PE?)

I gather two players can work with one core box, a second core box is required for three to four players.

Similarly, because of the inherent dwarf theme, the Khazad-dum main expansion is recommended for providing Thorin and Co. extra dwarven oomph.

So, feasibly, it would be one core, one KD, and then the two hobbit sets.

(Up until recently none of the main expansions and their sub-expansion sets dealt with the actual LotR story, which has just started with the main "Black Riders" expansion set. Everything before then has been prequel material, naturally including the two Hobbit sets. Does that seem right?)

That sounds correct to me, it would not be impossible to play, however I would recommend the core set.  The cards help build your decks and there are some pretty good cards and heroes in the core set I think you would want regardless of which expansion you choose to purchase. 

The core game gives you some good cards Aragorn, Gimli, Legolas, Thalin, Gloin... and a lot of core cards for different Spheres to help build decks around other heroes and sphere cards you get.  There area couple of Gandalf ally cards you get in the core as well that is pretty strong and can be played with any sphere.

I have not decided which expansion I will purchase next, but most say to get Shadows of Mirkwood Cycle and/or The Hobbit on the Doorstep Deluxe box.

@TheCommandTent
Look here...
http://tmza.deviantart.com/art/Whip-Lash-288875411

PE

JasonPratt

I ordered the Core set and both Hobbits yesterday (Part 2 of the latter coming from Japan, but that thing is hard to find nowadays! Someone in Australia on BGG was selling it for around $35 for around the same in shipping, too! -- Japan was much cheaper.)

I was going to order the KD expansion, but a new re-print is coming soon this month (on the 24th a few days from now), and FFG says it's going to be "updated". I'm hoping they're going to update it in the sense of making it actually part of the so-called "Saga Expansions", since they've finally started the actual LotR plot with the Black Riders deluxe expansion and the KD expansion essentially involved the Moria plot (which might logically come next) except ported to a goofy prequel status. I would imagine (though I haven't seen the original details firsthand) that it could be easily tweaked to fill the next SE role while still pulling duty for players wanting to kick off the Dwarrodelf prequel plot; and the SE sets don't seem to have sub-expansions planned (which is why Voice of Isengard is the next set with sub-expansions coming, returning to prequel story status).

I guess we'll see in a few days. I'd rather hold off and get a proper KD set for the main plot if they're planning to do that later and are only reprinting the first KD with minor rule fixes, instead of buying KD material twice just to juice up the dwarves for the Hobbit. (Although it occurs to me that the Black Riders SE might have some good Hobbit support cards, since part of its big selling point was to finally be able to build hobbit decks.)