Space Hulk: Death Angel

Started by PanzersEast, January 14, 2014, 05:25:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

Jeez, you guys and your frivolous purchasin'. I'll probably get the expansion packs but I want to see if I like Death Angel before I go buying everything. ;)

JasonPratt

Frivolous purchases? I'M SPLURGING FOR THE NIECESSSESSSSSS!!!!

Okay, well, maybe not this one. I'm a terrible person to go shopping, because I start buying and can't stop. :)

Still, while I didn't get this for the nieces (a lot of other stuff came in), I'm adducing some further entertainment imagining how they'd respond to the topic. Pretty sure their parents wouldn't approve, but it would be adorable hearing them go around saying "TAKE AND HOLD" etc.  ;D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

BanzaiCat

It's okay. You're in good company here.

I have zero room to talk, myself.  8)

JasonPratt

For what it's worth, the expansions (if you can find them) tend to be pretty cheap, like a couple of dollars plus a few dollars shipping. (Both my others arrived this morning.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 23, 2014, 08:32:26 AM
Jeez, you guys and your frivolous purchasin'. I'll probably get the expansion packs but I want to see if I like Death Angel before I go buying everything. ;)

Buying Tyranids with it wouldn't be a bad move. The other expansions are okay, but that one is the best of the 4 by far.

JasonPratt

Turns out, finding campaigns to recreate (or already recreated) on the net isn't easy.  ??? Hm.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Arctic Blast on January 23, 2014, 05:51:44 PM

Buying Tyranids with it wouldn't be a bad move. The other expansions are okay, but that one is the best of the 4 by far.

I almost bought an extra pack or two, but figured some were better than others, and that you guys would probably post something about it eventually.

Nefaro

Quote from: Arctic Blast on January 23, 2014, 05:51:44 PM

I recall you (or someone else) mentioning that the Tyranid expansion would be your first choice, followed by the Mission Pack and then the extra Marine packs. 

So I managed to hold my frivolity to just adding the Tyranid and Mission Pack.  I mean.. there are more than enough Marines in the stock box for solitaire play.  I was just worried that the stock would run out on this stuff before long. Therefore, along with some sale pricing, it was enough to convince me to get it earlier rather than later.  Don't wanna put it off and then get stuck scrounging for used copies or high priced new ones on Ebay in the future.

It may also inspire me to follow up on my plan for using the 40k Deathwatch RPG system as the basis for creating a continuous series of space hulk gaming using the more detailed RPG for running such a combat oriented campaign (which is about all an RPG about Space Marines could be, methinks).  I was thinking of creating my own random Space Hulk generator system for it at some point.  The RPG rules would just take care of the continuous campaign mechanics, of course.

I have indeed been a frivolous buyer lately, especially when it comes to solitaire capable tabletop games.  But I've not been buying as many PC games since doing so, nor playing as many since I've regained my tabletop itch.  Unfortunately PC games are usually the cheaper vice these days.  ;D

JasonPratt

Quote from: Nefaro on January 23, 2014, 10:21:10 PM
I have indeed been a frivolous buyer lately, especially when it comes to solitaire capable tabletop games.  But I've not been buying as many PC games since doing so, nor playing as many since I've regained my tabletop itch.  Unfortunately PC games are usually the cheaper vice these days.  ;D

This, this, a thousand times this. :-[

I doubt I'm going to get a chance to try running a SHCard game until Sunday night at the earliest, as I'm off to the nieces this afternoon and probably tomorrow morning, too (and afternoon if I can manage it). Then helping Mom close the business year out on Sunday after church.

Nefaro

Quote from: JasonPratt on January 24, 2014, 01:11:31 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on January 23, 2014, 10:21:10 PM

This, this, a thousand times this. :-[

I doubt I'm going to get a chance to try running a SHCard game until Sunday night at the earliest, as I'm off to the nieces this afternoon and probably tomorrow morning, too (and afternoon if I can manage it). Then helping Mom close the business year out on Sunday after church.

Mine probably aren't going to even start showing up until Tuesday next week so we'll probably be preening about them at the same time.

Arctic Blast

Ah, frivolous spending on board games. I know thee well.

Actually, my poison of choice was RPG books. I kept buying the damn things if it was for anything that seemed neat. Sure, 99% of them would never be used, but I'd buy them anyway because...reasons. I seem to have gotten that under control.  ::) :D

BanzaiCat

^ I do the same thing. The last one I bought was a couple of years ago, though; it was the Firefly RPG. Never played it, but love having it.

Nefaro

Quote from: Arctic Blast on January 24, 2014, 05:36:50 PM
Ah, frivolous spending on board games. I know thee well.

Actually, my poison of choice was RPG books. I kept buying the damn things if it was for anything that seemed neat. Sure, 99% of them would never be used, but I'd buy them anyway because...reasons. I seem to have gotten that under control.  ::) :D

LOL!

I briefly started doing that recently, but a couple beastly-large manuals curbed my RPG reading needs fairly quickly.  I doubt they'll ever actually get played much, if at all, but there's a lot of reading to be had. 

New Shadowrun 5th Ed, Star Wars Edge of the Empire Corebook, and WH40K Deathwatch on sale.  Those will keep me occupied for the foreseeable future, if I feel the need to study up on an RPG.

Arctic Blast

I had pretty much every single Deathwatch core book. Finally sold them off recently. A few of us actually DID try playing that, but it's an absolute bear of a game. You don't have a character sheet, you have 2 of them...both double sided. There are just way too many stats and things to track.

Nefaro

Quote from: Arctic Blast on January 25, 2014, 11:01:19 PM
I had pretty much every single Deathwatch core book. Finally sold them off recently. A few of us actually DID try playing that, but it's an absolute bear of a game. You don't have a character sheet, you have 2 of them...both double sided. There are just way too many stats and things to track.

I admit having been rather disappointed when I found out that it used the same old d100 style system that the old Warhammer Fantasy did back in the 80s.  While it sounds simple only having to roll percentile dice for most everything, and having stats to reflect that, it has two problems.  First, there are ridiculous amounts of modifiers and every extra character skill/ability/wotnot is just an extra modifier for something.  So it's a damn nightmare to track all the DRMs down in numerous places.  Second, it's just a damn boring dicing system.  Rolling one or two d10s and having to wrangle with all the adjustments sucks some of the fun out of the dicing part.

It's nice to see that Fantasy Flight's newest Warhammer Fantasy RPG system uses a special dice pool (as does their Star Wars one).  Despite having to buy their special dice, it gives more life to the dicing side of the game.  Having learned the Star Wars dice pool mechanics, I've been impressed with how easy it is to enact modifiers (add or remove dice to the roll), it incorporates opposed tests into the exact same roll, and the dice results can even lend more inspiration to the narrative since it has extra degrees of positive and negative outcomes possible.  So I've become a big fan of dice pool mechanics in general, if only for the ease of adding and removing dice for modifier purposes.  Screw having to go down DRM lists and search character abilities to add and subtract for every roll.  I'm over that.  :D   I think the DRM-heavy system of these 40K RPGs will be the thing that keeps me from playing.  Still.. there's a lot of interesting reading and lore in them so I'm not planning on ditching the stuff at the moment.  It may still inspire me to write up some randomized Space Hulk building rules to play solo.  Then you don't have to worry about wasting other people's time on DRMs.