Strategic Command WWII: War in Europe

Started by steve58, October 17, 2016, 09:53:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steelgrave

Quote from: mirth on October 25, 2016, 07:57:04 PM
Quote from: Steelgrave on October 25, 2016, 07:42:44 PM
Soooo.....essentially they were selling the manual and the game was a throw in?   ::)

Whoa, whoa. Slow down. Not a working copy of the game.

Got ahead of myself again, didn't I?   ::)

-budd-

I dont know, i'm feeling the pull of that manual. I ordered the DCB book/manual, first hard copy in 10 years and i'm pretty happy with it. There weren't a ton of massive changes so the manual is still relevant and it looks real nice. This game is not my preferred scale and i've tried other game at this scale and been a little overwhelmed with all the choices but this looks approachable for my feeble brain. Unless of course it's $79.99
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: -budd- on October 25, 2016, 08:29:17 PM
I dont know, i'm feeling the pull of that manual. I ordered the DCB book/manual, first hard copy in 10 years and i'm pretty happy with it. There weren't a ton of massive changes so the manual is still relevant and it looks real nice. This game is not my preferred scale and i've tried other game at this scale and been a little overwhelmed with all the choices but this looks approachable for my feeble brain. Unless of course it's $79.99

At least 79.99 without a doubt

-budd-

Hard copy $59.99  :)  If i remember correctly thats what i payed for DCB, manual and all. Don't think its a monster game price thing here, but i've been wrong before.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: -budd- on October 25, 2016, 08:36:14 PM
Hard copy $59.99  :)  If i remember correctly thats what i payed for DCB, manual and all. Don't think its a monster game price thing here, but i've been wrong before.

We'll see but I will hang my hat on $79...seems to be a popular price for them

-budd-

if thats the case i'll probably wait. There's only a few dev's i'll buy on release. I don't own any of the other SC games but have followed the development of them, like i said its not my preferred scale. One thing i have noticed is they support there games well and that certainly if worth considering.Game support is pretty much a prerequisite for me to buy on release.

Grim.Reaper

I would be glad to be wrong, but seems like this will be a flagship product for them

Bardolph

That "hardback" looks like a render to me. Can't see how they could reasonably fill that many pages unless this version of the game is very different from the previous versions.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Bardolph on October 25, 2016, 11:36:47 PM
That "hardback" looks like a render to me. Can't see how they could reasonably fill that many pages unless this version of the game is very different from the previous versions.
I've got no doubt that is a render. However, if it's shown like that, I'm pretty sure it'll be like that. The example manual that's kicking about has a TOC - so that should tell you how many pages there are
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 25, 2016, 08:38:48 PM

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 25, 2016, 08:54:21 PM
I would be glad to be wrong, but seems like this will be a flagship product for them
I agree

It always annoyed the hell out of me that Matrix would get down about the price flame wars that kicked off on release of their products. For a month prior to release they would see the speculation growing and the various vociferous discussions about pricing and then on release day - BAM! - hitting people with a £100 bill (with customs - that's how much WiF was going to cost).

What annoyed me most about it was them watching this happen and created the environment for it to breed and really spoil release day. I was always of the mind if they released the price, people would "get used to it" over time and possibly have the fight taken out of them on release day and have a much more appealing release day for their products.

I could be wrong - but given the alternative - guaranteed price war - then what was to lose.

I don't know much about previous Strategic Command games - but it seems it has a strong following....so I would look out for another price flame war on release if Matrix price this above £50 - which, looking at the manual, I have no doubt they will.
Alba gu' brath

Wolfe1759

Just spotted this on the Barbarossa AAR on the Matrix site:

"The first change allows to switch the sides, even during the game. I just need to go back to the corresponding menu, click "Allies" instead of "Axis", and I have changed the sides.
The second new feature allows me to let the AI control a Major Country of my side while I control the other. So I can play Germany and let the AI control Italy. Or even vice versa."

Now I'm even more interested.
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

-budd-

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 26, 2016, 12:41:43 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 25, 2016, 08:38:48 PM

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 25, 2016, 08:54:21 PM

I don't know much about previous Strategic Command games - but it seems it has a strong following....so I would look out for another price flame war on release if Matrix price this above £50 - which, looking at the manual, I have no doubt they will.

Seems like the game does have a dedicated following but like a lot of "niche games" especially war games dedicated don't mean big sales numbers. I see they have an opportunity with this game, kind of a HOI lite thats more military focus and easier to get into. Is this going to steam? dont remember any reference to steam, might do well unless they price themselves out. I'll probably get it, maybe even hard copy, just not sure about that because if there is massive changes the manual will be outdated fast. It just looks way more approachable then say HOI, but again not my scale and it will depend on pricing to decide when i will get it. Guess we will find out in 2 weeks.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 17, 2016, 01:02:21 PM
I don't mean to come over all dampening on peoples enthusiasm...ok...I do... ;D

Seriously - 3 questions...

• Why is there no stacking of air/land units...or is there? I couldn't see any in the screenshots. That kind of mechanic was in Panzer General 1!
  • You can't be telling me that a strategic game has an aircraft carrier in it's own hex?
  • What's the price - or is it being kept until launch day like Matrix/Slitherine always do?

I am not excited about this one either. It looks and seems to play like too many games that have come before.  And I am starting to really loath grand strategy games that don't allow stacking.  My dollars will get excited about something new and different... It's kind of like 4x space games...I think I already have this one.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

demjansk1942

Not sure if I will buy right away.  I like to wait a little after the game comes out

Grim.Reaper

Saw this posted at Matrix...I hope this is not heading down the path of World in Flames of promised post release functions and fixes....also, I asked about AI processing time...seems like it will be in the 1-3 minute range...not sure how I feel about that.  I am an impatient person:)

We are in the process of delivering the final release master for Strategic Command. Unfortunately, due to the volume and quality of feedback on single player we've not had the time to focus on the multiplayer testing that we wanted. Rather than release an untested multiplayer version we are going to launch the single player only version this week so those eagerly waiting can get their hands on it and we will add multiplayer as soon as we are happy with it. We expect to have a beta version of multiplayer releasing in the next week or two and the final version shortly after that. While we are aware this is not ideal we feel this is the best way to minimize any inconvenience. We are already working hard to solve it as quickly as possible.

Thanks for your patience.