Homeworld 3 Trailer

Started by Destraex, December 09, 2021, 10:30:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

I am just about to watch it!

There are so many things that I do not think can be topped from the originals. Such as the classical adagio of strings theme. The only thing that can probably be topped are the graphics and game mechanics. They might do ground in space (on asteroids and ships) combat or something like that. But my expectations are like everything these days, politics might take a front seat while the story is just rebooted. What remains could be very bland. Fingers crossed but I find it's best not to expect anything great. It's a sequel after all.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1840080/Homeworld_3/

Q4 2022

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

GDS_Starfury

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

GDS_Starfury

Ive missed you fleet command.  :smitten:

someone hand me some napkins.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Destraex

Only a year away now. Don't want to get too hyped.

Gusington

'In space no one can hear you fap, unless you're Star.'

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Phantom

Good innovative game when it came out, but why do people think hanging on to the coat-tails of an old title will work out well.
Its rather like watching a western with John Wayne's corpse in the lead role.
Do something new guys.

jamus34

I agree on a general basis. But it's not like there have been 100 different clones or knockoffs of Homeworld.

A game like COD/Battlefield yes, you need to do something different to stand out and they don't.

If you can make a a Homeworld with modern graphics that the control scheme doesn't suck??? No one else is doing it and I'm there.
Insert witty comment here.

SirAndrewD

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Phantom on December 10, 2021, 02:41:29 PM
Good innovative game when it came out, but why do people think hanging on to the coat-tails of an old title will work out well.
Its rather like watching a western with John Wayne's corpse in the lead role.
Do something new guys.

I have to ask how much you played this when the previous three versions came out?
did you try any of the many mods or play it against other people often?

in my experience there is simply no other game like it and this looks to expand in scope and size the original concept.

Destraex

You are correct that the coat tails of old franchises are very dangerous places to pin ones hopes on. You are more than likely going to be disappointed by a newer style dev team that is less Technical and more about modern art direction. That usually means less toys and mechanics to play with and more modern art.
This dev team however has at it's core the original developers of Homeworld. Not all of them, but some of them. Blackbird Interactive did a good job with Deserts of Kharak I thought. I will be happy enough with a game like that. But I want more than that.

We loved this game for the ships, i'd like them to ensure their are NEW things to do with the fleet.
Less art and more game mechanics and detail. Ideally the devs should remember that the art needs less attention than the game mechanics. The art style has been done before. What is most important this time around is playing the actual game and what can be done with the ships.
I am not talking about bigger fleets by the way, because battles then just become blob fests that the player has no attachment to.

I would like mechanics and features like:

* Escape pods and collection of them to save vets and keep crew
* Crew training options and veterancy
* Setting up ships before the game so that when they come out of the mothership they form in specific areas.
* Ship formations that are meaningful
* Realistic space physics
* Player designed ship creator in game
* More detailed paint options
* New and better way of using the Z axis
* Crewing ships
* Having a captain that gains traits
* Concurrent multiplayer skirmish armies that gain experience
* Customising ships
* New ship classes
* New GPU tech that allows the people to be seen inside the ship and the marine fights to be directed in realtime inside a ship.
* Side armour (not a single health bar) and more physical components to break and target.

I hope they don't just do new ship shapes and rehash the same story thinking the art will pull the game through. I'd like to see a new upbeat story this time, something less sad. Because it's about time we got a pay off right? The last two games just involved running and being on the back foot. This time we should even perhaps have a strategic campaign and be able to capture planets and colonise them?

They should NOT go DOW3 with the art style, simplifying everything and prioritising some fancy art direction that cheapens and trivialises the serious atmosphere of the game. Make these ships have the best detail with the current generation of graphics GPU cards. Homeworld was cutting edge when it released not just arty and sad, it did something nobody else had done. That is why it is a classic. Move forward and move ahead. Don't be that sequel that is not as good as the original.

GDS_Starfury

Im pretty sure HW2 had veterancy but I think it was limited to fighter size ships, maybe corvettes.

GDS_Starfury

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead0331

Why have they taken the mothership and just turned it on it's side? Kind of an uninspired change. Otherwise, looking good.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18