New WWII Pacific Air Combat Sim Development

Started by Skoop, May 18, 2023, 11:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirAndrewD

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 19, 2023, 11:42:04 AMI wonder who owns the rights to those Dynamix games. They'd be aces at Gog!

:evil:

Interesting question.  By chain of ownership I'd guess the rights ended up with Activision/Blizzard since they acquired Sierra who owned Dynamix.

Damon Slye founded his own game company after Sierra shuttered Dynamix but he doesn't seem to have been actively developing anything in over a decade and what he has worked on have not been sims.

Shame.  Red Baron 1-2 and the two Aces games were the real sweet spot between game and sim.  They don't make em like that anymore.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Skoop

Sounds like there will be SP campaign content.  This is in the infant stages though.

Reading between the lines here, I think the Jason vs 777 split might have been over this very issue.  I hope this sim is successful and throws shade at the Russians at 777.  You can just spoon feed us what you want, the consumers decide what we want.  It was pretty unanimous that IL2 fans wanted pacific, and 777 blew us off.

W8taminute

Quote from: SirAndrewD on May 19, 2023, 10:41:56 AM+2

I love the Dynamix Aces series.  Aces of the Pacific was one of my favorite WW2 sims ever made.

I sometimes watch videos of it on Youtube and turn down the volume so I can play Memories in the background.

I can relate to that.   :cool:
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Sigwolf

Hugely excited for this.  I really hope it comes together.

Destraex

I am gonna be really frank here and say that I really hope ace combat spurs DCS to putting resources behind a Zero and finishing their ww2 Corsair assets. I want DCS ww2 to become popular. Good luck to Jason Williams, I hope without the constraints of the il2 guys that he has more freedom to deliver on promises. I am still waiting for my il2 tank crew infantry.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Staggerwing

I hope this succeeds. I'm jonesing for a TBD with good torp drop simulation to try and relive Torpedo 8's fateful ride into the maelstrom of Japanese CAP and Flak.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

smittyohio

Quote from: SirAndrewD on May 19, 2023, 10:41:56 AM+2

I love the Dynamix Aces series.  Aces of the Pacific was one of my favorite WW2 sims ever made.

I sometimes watch videos of it on Youtube and turn down the volume so I can play Memories in the background.

Aces of the Pacific was my first PC game back in '92 when I bought myself a 386SX laptop and hooked it up to a color monitor.  So many hours of fun.   I was truly shocked when I watched a video last night and saw how primitive the graphics really were.  In my mind they were so much better at the time.  :-)

FarAway Sooner

Yeah.  I had the same experience trying (unsuccessfully) to read the map in the original Master of Magic/Caster of Magic game I picked up six months ago! 

I'm personally hoping this one turns out to be a twin-stick shooter with IGOUGO mechanics, but I've never been into the flight sim games.   :RockOn:

Gaming an air war in the South Pacific is an interesting concept for sure.  If you want to weave in any historical narrative, the South Pacific is probably the best theater to use as a backdrop.  The two sides fought on vaguely equal terms, there was A LOT of different hardware used, and the missions variety was pretty extraordinary.

Like SirAndrew, I'd love an operational layer air-war game in almost any theater but the South Pacific most of all.  I'm not sure that anybody's really done that genre well in recent decades.

The_Admiral

I for one hate the PTO. Such a boring setting.

:police:

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

CaptainKoloth

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 21, 2023, 08:42:06 PM
Quote from: The_Admiral on May 21, 2023, 08:12:45 PMI for one hate the PTO. Such a boring setting.

:police:

:ROFL:

I disagree. I could always use more Paid Time Off. Not sure what it has to do with flight sims, though.

JasonPratt

So, I suppose I could be less lazy and just load up the game to look, but doesn't IL-46 have Pacific Campaigns and aircraft?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Redwolf

Looking forward to this for some WW2 fix for me.  IL-2 doesn't run on my desktop (instant CTD) and I am too dumb to take off in the tail-draggers in DCS.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 22, 2023, 07:41:07 AMSo, I suppose I could be less lazy and just load up the game to look, but doesn't IL-46 have Pacific Campaigns and aircraft?

I've never had any luck getting any of the modernization mods for IL2 '46 running, and I've spent a lot of time trying. 

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!