New WWII Pacific Air Combat Sim Development

Started by Skoop, May 18, 2023, 11:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skoop

Looks like Jason shed some light on his new project after leaving 777 / IL2.

A pacific theater WWII combat flight sim. 

https://stormbirds.blog/2023/05/18/combat-pilot-a-new-pacific-wwii-sim-coming-from-jason-williams-and-barbedwire-studios/

Jarhead0331

Awesome. Very exciting that this will be released in two weeks.  :evil:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

smittyohio

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 19, 2023, 03:58:20 AMAwesome. Very exciting that this will be released in two weeks.  :evil:

Where did you see that?  It looked to me like they were still working on their prototype.  That said,

Destraex

lol. Well played sir.
I am sure you know ye ole DCS joke.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

CaptainKoloth

I just need two magic letters to get excited: a V and an R...

ArizonaTank

Looks good. Yes, we are missing a good WWII Pacific flight / combat sim.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: CaptainKoloth on May 19, 2023, 07:53:57 AMI just need two magic letters to get excited: a V and an R...

I'd love that too, but I'd give that up for a Pacific Air War style single player campaign. 

But, lets be real here, I'll be Captain Buzzkillington.  Even Jason is saying he's not close to 95% sure he will actually be able to pull this off.

And if he does, we're looking at years of wait. 

This is a huge undertaking.  I wish him and his team luck but I honestly want this so badly that I need to temper my excitement.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

I too want something like this so badly I can taste it.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I bet it tastes like Bacon, wrapped in more bacon.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Dammit Carl!

W8taminute

Count me in as one of those who is really excited about this game. 

I just hope...

It has a pilot campaign progression system in it and it is not modeled after IL-2's system.

For me the holy grail of any PTO air combat sim is that it must have a campaign system similar to Dynamix's Aces of the Pacific.  You would think in 30+ years someone would have made an air combat sim that has a campaign system with massive RPG elements to it. 

I guess I'm the only one on this planet that wants that.  :planepilot:
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

^And me. I still remember playing Battlehawks 1942 on my Amiga - I think that was the game that saw me fall in love with the Val dive bomber.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

+2

I love the Dynamix Aces series.  Aces of the Pacific was one of my favorite WW2 sims ever made.

I sometimes watch videos of it on Youtube and turn down the volume so I can play Memories in the background.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

I am still bitter that most of the classic Dynamix games were released before I had a PC  :grumpy:

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

I wonder who owns the rights to those Dynamix games. They'd be aces at Gog!

:evil:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!