Main Menu

DCS F/A-18C

Started by Jarhead0331, July 03, 2017, 11:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yskonyn

Quote from: Toonces on June 05, 2018, 04:37:35 PM
Well, things like if the pitching and rolling of the deck is simulated, the ball (which you answered), LSO comms, things like that.

Sea state is modelled in DCS, but I am not sure the vessel reacts to that yet. I am sure about it being a planned feature though.

ATC (and LSO) comms will see a big overhaul in a future version. At the moment its the same basic shit that has been in since Flaming Cliffs. Not much.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Anyone have any info on optimal settings for conventional bombs? How should fuse, drag, etc. options be set for the various munitions, like Mk82s, CBUs, etc.?

I tried some CCIP target practice yesterday and my rockeyes were coming off the rails well, but didn't seem to be detonating with the proper effect. My Mk82s were also landing on target, but weren't very effective either. Not much of a BOOM.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JudgeDredd

I haven't progressed to dropping ordinance yet - sorry

Maybe this will help?

Alba gu' brath

Toonces

@ Yassy - that's unfortunate about the sea state modeling and comms.  I know that modeling carrier operations was one of the big things that ED had in store for them when they decided on the Hornet.  I'm glad the went with what they have rather than holding off on releasing the Hornet; it seems like a lot of folks are really enjoying it.  I'm going to have to check out some videos here at some point.  Right now I have all this stuff on hold until I finish my relocation and get my rig reconfigured at the new house...a couple more months at least.

@ Wybough - yes, I was in VP-30 for qualification in the P-3.  I haven't made it back to Jax since.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Yskonyn

Correction on the sea state reaction of the carrier: aparently my wingmates have corrected me and claim the carrier definately is moving on the waves. 👌🏻
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 06, 2018, 06:40:33 AM
Anyone have any info on optimal settings for conventional bombs? How should fuse, drag, etc. options be set for the various munitions, like Mk82s, CBUs, etc.?

I tried some CCIP target practice yesterday and my rockeyes were coming off the rails well, but didn't seem to be detonating with the proper effect. My Mk82s were also landing on target, but weren't very effective either. Not much of a BOOM.

DCS' explosions are underwhelming because:

1)  Fragmentation isn't properly modeled.  I keep hearing that bomb frag isn't implemented at all.

2)  The effective overpressure wave area seems a bit smaller than it probably should be regarding soft targets.

As for bomb settings, just arm Nose & Tail fuses for everything.  The rest is preference and attack profile related.

I've also heard that Rockeyes were extra broken, back when I was trying to drop them from the Mirage and asked some people why they were so ineffective.  Guess they still haven't fixed them..?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Nefaro on June 06, 2018, 10:51:05 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 06, 2018, 06:40:33 AM

DCS' explosions are underwhelming because:

1)  Fragmentation isn't properly modeled.  I keep hearing that bomb frag isn't implemented at all.

2)  The effective overpressure wave area seems a bit smaller than it probably should be regarding soft targets.

As for bomb settings, just arm Nose & Tail fuses for everything.  The rest is preference and attack profile related.

I've also heard that Rockeyes were extra broken, back when I was trying to drop them from the Mirage and asked some people why they were so ineffective.  Guess they still haven't fixed them..?

The fuse and arming options in the Hornet are more complex. There are menus for mechanical and electronic fuses and then various options for each. I need data on which type of fuse each weapon system has. This data is not in the EA manual.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

If its not in the EA manual then its a safe bet it isnt implemented yet. Perhaps the options show up on the DDI but lots of stuff isnt 'plugged in' yet.

As for theory on the settings. Check out the 476th vFG's Weapon Facts sheets Freely downloadable from their site.
http://www.476vfightergroup.com/downloads.php

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on June 06, 2018, 11:24:23 AM
If its not in the EA manual then its a safe bet it isnt implemented yet. Perhaps the options show up on the DDI but lots of stuff isnt 'plugged in' yet.

As for theory on the settings. Check out the 476th vFG's Weapon Facts sheets Freely downloadable from their site.
http://www.476vfightergroup.com/downloads.php

Sweet! Thanks for the link.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

JD...have you seen this thread? I think it will solve your comms problem.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=211683

Apparently, easy comms are bugged presently. "\" doesn't work in the air. Must use Comm1 and Comm2 commands... "RALT+\" and "RCTRL+\"
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

Let me add that the Carrier's comms are not functional yet either.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 08, 2018, 09:39:12 PM

Apparently, easy comms are bugged presently. "\" doesn't work in the air. Must use Comm1 and Comm2 commands... "RALT+\" and "RCTRL+\"
No I haven't. I'll give it a look thanks.

Another issue I noticed before is some keys need remapping. A prime (and relevant) example is comms. The key bind for the radio is \ - however, it doesn't work on my system and when I go in to check the mapping, and press the \ key, it puts OEM102 in the box.

I'm going a-scouting to see if there's a fix for this.
Alba gu' brath

Yskonyn

That is directly related to easy comms.
\ is the easy comms radio key, or when not using radio comms its the Intercom / Voice key.
Easy comms aparently is bugged atm, so thats why \ doesnt do anything.
Also, don't expect any reply from the Carrier; its comms arent workingeither.

Pete Dero

Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 09, 2018, 04:55:36 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 08, 2018, 09:39:12 PM

No I haven't. I'll give it a look thanks.

Another issue I noticed before is some keys need remapping. A prime (and relevant) example is comms. The key bind for the radio is \ - however, it doesn't work on my system and when I go in to check the mapping, and press the \ key, it puts OEM102 in the box.

I'm going a-scouting to see if there's a fix for this.

This might help a bit

Rest of the tutorial playlist : https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3kOAM2N1YJc5x-z99XdX-XxWg4I0Of-a

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog