Main Menu

Star Citizen

Started by Jarhead0331, June 04, 2014, 10:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swatter

Alpha 2.0?

That is a confusing designation. An alpha build of a game is considered to be feature complete. It sounds like its more in the early pre-alpha stage. Can it even be considered at game at this point? What exactly can you do in-game? The 2.0 is pure marketing I suppose.

It sounds like the game is going to comprise 3-5 distinct parts. If you only have one part in early pre-alpha after 100 million dollars... I don't even know what to say. Unless they have retained an impressive cash reserve they will run out of funding well before even one part reaches a stable release state.

I don't think the dream will be realized. You might get one complete part, but the whole concept put together into one package? Nope.

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Swatter on December 14, 2015, 04:55:14 PM
An alpha build of a game is considered to be feature complete.

I've always understood beta to be feature-complete; beta is for bugfixing/balancing/general polish.  Alpha is where features and systems are still being built.

Swatter

From wiki:

"Alpha is the stage when key gameplay functionality is implemented, and assets are partially finished"

"Beta is feature and asset complete version of the game, when only bugs are being fixed"

In other words, during alpha you have a bare bones version of the game with the key mechanics implemented. Your probably still in the early stages of building out all the levels, doing the voice acting, and creating items/weapons.

SC is being developed several parts at a time, with the space flight part being the most developed. I would say the spaceflight part is still pre-alpha unless trade, combat, and other key systems are in and working. The other parts of the game (FPS, MMO) sound like that are still pretty much in the infant stages of development.

Huw the Poo

Well if Wiki says it, then it must be true, right? ;)

I'm just talking from my own experience of how countless developers throughout the years have used the terms.  That's why I said I've always "understood" it to be that way.

Jarhead0331

I think the wiki definition supports your understanding of the terms, Huw, and I agree with you. An alpha is where key game functionality is implemented, but assets are Still being added and it is not feature complete. A game is not feature complete until it reaches beta. I don't see anything confusing or deceptive about the nomenclature used here. It's the second version of the alpha.

I've tried to be clear as to what alpha 2.0 added. I'm not going to defend star citizen here because like I said, when considering the amount of money raised and the progress made, Chris Roberts should be ashamed. But alpha 2.0 is nevertheless a big leap in development, and for me, is the first real substantive proof that something is really there worth following.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Yskonyn

I have a few years of Elite yet, before I'll consider SC.

Happy Horizons Day by the way!  O0 >:D
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Swatter

We can agree that alpha should have the main gameplay components in there. Is there combat and trade implemented, for instance? Can it be called a game in the classic sense? Is even the most advanced project in SC still in the tech demo stage? Is this specific thing that's advertised as Alpha 2.0 really an alpha? The definition I'm sure allows for wiggle room, but it would be good to have some metric where at least one part of the game is. Simple question: Is it still a glorified tech demo or can it be played?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Swatter on December 15, 2015, 12:47:13 PM
We can agree that alpha should have the main gameplay components in there. Is there combat and trade implemented, for instance? Can it be called a game in the classic sense? Is even the most advanced project in SC still in the tech demo stage? Is this specific thing that's advertised as Alpha 2.0 really an alpha? The definition I'm sure allows for wiggle room, but it would be good to have some metric where at least one part of the game is. Simple question: Is it still a glorified tech demo or can it be played?

My personal opinion is that with Alpha 2.0, the game is a game, but a clearly unfinished one with a long way to go. It has surpassed the realm of a tech demo. There is no trade or economy implemented as of yet, but there is combat, both space based in ships and EVA/FPS based. There is a sector of space that is online and persistent, as far as I know, with a planet, several moons and and handful of space stations/platforms. There are a series of missions, and pvp combat in both single piloted and multi-crewed vessels or on foot with small arms.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Huw the Poo

Well, that's better than it was looking until recently, anyway.  I have to admit, those screenshots look good.

Swatter

Good to see it has moved out of the realm of tech demo.

Father Ted

Quote from: Yskonyn on December 15, 2015, 08:39:44 AM

It'll probably be just about released by then

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Yskonyn on December 15, 2015, 08:39:44 AM

Happy Horizons Day by the way!  O0 >:D

Same. 

I'm exploring planets on a game that's been in release for over a year.  And it started its crowdfunding project at the same time and raised just a bit over 1/10 of what RSI has managed to rake in at this point. 

I mean, I backed SC as well, but at this point things are getting quite frankly ridiculous.  Roberts should donate every cent he earned to Frontier Developments and send them over his design staff. 

I'd be mind blowing to see what FD could've turned out with the budget RSI is playing with.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

IronX

If you're at all interested in the game there is currently a free fly offer available until February 14. I'm curious as to how it will run on my rig so I'm giving it a try.

Also, if you're thinking of getting it, now's the time as the game will be split into two (Star Citizen and the single-player Squadron 42) after that date, costing gamers an extra $15 if they want both - $45 for one game and an extra $15 for both.

See: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15178-Roundup-Free-Fly-212-Patch-And-Other-Updates

JasonPratt

Just so I understand, when you buy the game you're buying a ship with real money (i.e. choosing what your starting ship will be); but those other ships are still available to earn in-game without paying real money. You can just jump ahead and buy a whole fleet with $15,000 of real money if you want to, or earn your fleet the hard way as in most such games (by playing the game).

So for example you can buy one of the Aurora models for $45 and that will be your starting ship tricked out with various options; but if you want to start with an Aurora better capable of hauling cargo, you pay $60 and your ship starts off as though you've already played the game long enough to get those upgrades (having traded down on some other parts of the ship like selling off the engine for a smaller one, and selling off some or all of the weps.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Jarhead0331

At the moment, all available ships can only be purchased with real money. Once the game is released, all ships will be purchasable with in game virtual currency.

In the current alpha build, there is no real economy running.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog