Steel Division 2 Brings Single Player Strategic map campaign similar to totalwar

Started by Destraex, August 25, 2018, 04:43:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

A very well spoken overview of Steel Division 2. This guy explains a 10 v 10 and the mechanics a little better than most.
EDIT: Ok "enemy flak trying to bomb us" and sentences like that just remind me of the current crop of students turning out of universities. Perhaps they are just all fatigued by modern society and constant screen time.  :pullhair:
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

stolypin

Been on the fence about this title for many months.  Really close to pulling the trigger.

demjansk1942

Destraex

Do you use a lot of pausing to give orders and group orders then?

stolypin

Looks like Steam has a major sale on SD2 this weekend.  I'm finally going to pull the trigger.

Destraex

Destraex

stolypin. Stand to attention and report!  ;D

Where is this map editor estimated to be ready 6 months ago?

14:06 here.... map editor was mentioned as 6 months away at the time of the interview and is mentioned as being in a recent Q&A

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/919640?updates=true&emclan=103582791463085333&emgid=2497758102857697440
"A map editor is indeed in the works, but this piece of software is a big undertaking for us. We are getting it ready, but it advances slowly, so an estimated time of arrival might be in six months or so."

Destraex

On sale for $13 where I am on steam atm. A steal. Must be like $7 in the USA.

Karri

Quote from: demjansk1942 on April 28, 2021, 05:00:01 PM
I have steel division 2 but still don't like clicking too much

Same, I find the pace too fast. Everything goes in flames way too fast.

Rayfer

Quote from: Karri on October 29, 2021, 10:29:58 AM
Quote from: demjansk1942 on April 28, 2021, 05:00:01 PM
I have steel division 2 but still don't like clicking too much

Same, I find the pace too fast. Everything goes in flames way too fast.

I don't own nor have I played SD2, but I did put a lot of time into the first.  If I remember correctly you could slow down the action to a snails-pace, about as close to stopping without actually being stopped.  Is this not so in SD2 or am I remembering wrong?

glen55

You can't slow SD2 down like the bullet time in the original.

I found that, once my troops were spotted within mortar range, I had to be constantly pausing to fire once--twice if I felt lucky--and then move with each of my mortars to have a chance to win the mortar duel. Otherwise I just got slaughtered.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Jarhead0331

You can pause the game completely and still give orders or slow the speed down to .33 time. With these temporal tools, I'm not sure why anyone would get overwhelmed. That being said, it is not turn-based, so I understand that RTS is not for everyone.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Destraex

I am making a list to compare SD44 to SD2. Here is what I have so far. Help anyone?
Can anybody think of anything I have missed in this list of SD2 improvements over the previous SD44 game?

Sd2 has over sd44

* Commander unit

* Artillery spotter

* The ability to choose how many points you want per tick (minute) in each phase. A, B and C.

* Corrected shot mechanic - a flat bonus in conjunction with any radio equipped unit

* Efficient shot for setting chance based engagement ranges so your guns do not fire too early revealing themselves or stop and fire before they have a good chance of a kill so they keep going to close the gap.

* Army general strategic map and campaign - including vs mode

* Counterbattery order for artillery

* Show all paths and therefore orders currently given button. WOW this makes a huge difference. You can choose to see all paths all the time or none and those paths show the orders you have given in different colours.

* Sieze ground order for ground combat units

* Hold Position command that gives units freedom to defend find good defensive positions within a circle of defence

* Quick Hunt order which is a use roads until contact and then continue to use roads to destination after contact resolved order

* Choose from a pool of vehicles to carry specific cards of troops into battle in.

* In division armoury to compare all nations units side by side.

* Smoke and artillery rounds in a line orders (SHIFT click smoke in a line)

* Defensive fire order for artillery which is basically artillery overwatch on a specific area

* Defender/attacker game mode which allows defensive structured to be placed by the defender before battle.

* Closer combat game mode which starts sides almost within range of each other

* Autostrike order type for aircraft which demands the aircraft automatically return to the field and attack after refuelling and rearm repair off the map

* Ability to give orders to units before you bring them on during a running game.

* Deck system has changed from sd44 so that you can now select the veterancy you want in a card and what phase you want them in.

* Deck system was also changed to allow almost any unit to be chosen for any phase. I think in SD44 this was locked.

* Maps that have better terrain mapping and a much improved terrain line of sight tool.

* Before you right click on an enemy unit to attack ot you get a chance to kill that now also in simple language tells you "hard, easy" and such as well for those not so familiar with ww2 kit. This is done through choice of three different methods you can set the unit comparitor tool to take into account. Static, OFF and Dynamic - the last taking into account moral, facing and other such things.

* Fanatical trait - no surrender - can be suppressed but will not surrender

* Military Police\Commisars - no surrenders for surrounding units

* Raider trait - suffer no penalties when surrounded or behind enemy lines

* Ability to give an initial command to a unit before it comes on the field to unload somewhere or such.

* A huge amount of detail in the stats information pages compared to the first game

Errmm the eastern front as a theatre plus some of the sd44 divisions brought over in dlc.

About the bullet time. P pauses the game, p is listed as the shortcut key for "bullet time" in game, but it's just pause as far as I could tell when I tested it just then. No time limit on it.

Jarhead0331

Nice list, but I think you reversed it...don't you mean SD2 has over SD44?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18