Main Menu

Fargo

Started by Silent Disapproval Robot, May 13, 2014, 05:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

Anyone else watching this series on FX? 

I'm really enjoying it so far.  It's got the same black humour and weird vibe as the movie and Billy Bob Thorton's bad guy is always fun to watch.

mirth

Not watching yet, but I've heard good things.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Steelgrave

I've watched the first three episodes and the rest are waiting for me on Amazon. Like Gus, quirky but entertaining. Billy Bob  Thornton steals the show. I would watch it just for him if nothing else, but fortunately there is even more to Fargo than BBT.

Sir Slash

I'm enjoying the hell out of it so far. I love Martin Freeman as the guy I want to strangle-the-shit-out-of to grow a pair of testicles already. I never saw the movie. Is it the same story or a different one?  I'm like :D when it comes on.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Steelgrave

Quote from: Sir Slash on May 13, 2014, 08:23:30 PM
I'm enjoying the hell out of it so far. I love Martin Freeman as the guy I want to strangle-the-shit-out-of to grow a pair of testicles already. I never saw the movie. Is it the same story or a different one?  I'm like :D when it comes on.

Very much like the movie in spirit, different storyline and characters. If you enjoy Fargo the tv show, you really, really need to watch the movie. The first time I watched the movie, it was so quirky as to be distracting to this Texas boy and I wasnt sure if it was a drama or tongue in cheek. I watched it again a few years later and realized it was a masterpiece. Now I rate it in my top 50 movies ever and I've seen it half a dozen times  8)

Silent Disapproval Robot

The TV series ties into the movie in episode 4 when the Supermarket King finds what he believes to be a sign of divine providence in the snow bank.

Sir Slash

I guess I got another movie to watch then.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Steelgrave

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on May 13, 2014, 09:19:36 PM

The TV series ties into the movie in episode 4 when the Supermarket King finds what he believes to be a sign of divine providence in the snow bank.

I've only watched the first three episodes so far, got caught up in marathon viewing of The Killing. Fargo is now back on the clock.

Martok

I never have seen the movie.  Perhaps because I'm a native Minnesotan?  It's said we're likely to take offense to it.  ??? 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Steelgrave

Quote from: Martok on May 14, 2014, 10:12:59 AM
I never have seen the movie.  Perhaps because I'm a native Minnesotan?  It's said we're likely to take offense to it.  ???

Well, it certainly made me wonder about you folks, ha!

Barthheart

Fargo is a great movie. I used to live in Winnipeg Manitoba and had been to Fargo on a number of occasions...  seemed legit to me.  ;)

Silent Disapproval Robot

Well shit.  FX Canada just pulled Fargo from that channel and bumped it to FXX.  My cable provider doesn't offer that channel.  Guess it's time to fire up the proxy server and stream.

Sir Slash

OK Fargo experts out there, just watched the latest episode of this TRUE story and fish falling out of the sky? What the hell's going on up there in Minnesota?

Sir Slash

A truly great ending to a truly great series. I'm glad I didn't miss it. O0

Silent Disapproval Robot

I really enjoyed the series up until the end and then I felt it went of the rails a little bit.

************SPOILER ALERT************

What the hell was Lester's motivation for confronting Malvo in the bar in Las Vegas in the way that he did?  It didn't make any sense to me.  I could see him blundering up and blowing Malvo's cover through inane chatter but why the confrontational tone?  After all, it was Malvo who was the catalyst for the creation of the "new" Lester.   Just seemed really out of character to me and I don't really get the motivation behind it.  Also felt bad for wife 2.0.  I get that they had to turn Lester from an object of pity into someone who needs to be brought to justice but god damn!  Speaking of justice, I also found it kind of out of character for Molly Solverson to be so blase about her husband just gunning down Malvo.   And how much do you think Lester's brother is going to be able to sue the Bemidji police department for?