Main Menu

Started by eyebiter, April 09, 2012, 02:55:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junk2drive

Pro: I don't have to worry that the next number version of IE, DX, .Net, WMP, etc will work with XP. I don't have to wonder what happens when support ends. Supposed to be faster, optimized. Syncs with other hardware that I do not own at the moment. If I buy a touch screen I can use it.

Con: 32 bit version still does not use all 4 gb of ram even though I needed a PAE compatible CPU. To upgrade from a 32 bit version to W8 64 you have to buy the DVD version.
Learning curve.
Reinstalling software (now called apps) and hope that they work.

The system starts in the Metro touch screen. Click desktop and you see a familiar look. Press the Windows key and get to whatever you need.

The download did not take long and installation was about an hour. Everything hardware works so far.

Staggerwing

I decided to give it a shot as well since it looked like the upgrade wouldn't be a complete reinstall over XP unlike Win 7. Well... after getting past the tile screen to something that looks like a desktop I found all my icons still in place. Unfortunately the install removed everything in the program folder while leaving any and all icons as well as all pointers and references. The only programs that work are the ones that were installed to other directories. Of those, none has run properly yet. AT Gold won't update and Battlefield Academy keeps trying to patch but I've no clue where the D/Led patch went. >:(. Also, it looks like all those .net things have to be reinstalled as well. Any game or program that automatically looks for updates is blocked from doing so.

Hey, J2D, do you know if there is a program drop down list option such as was available through the old start button? All the Win key does is cycle between the desktop and the tile screen.

I'm starting to think that for niche wargamers and for indi developers who already have games out all the naysayers predicting Win 8 to be a disaster may not be too far off the mark.  :(
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

junk2drive

Mouse pointer to the left corner up or down should bring up a picture of what you have going on elsewhere, then slide the pointer down or up to see more.

Pointer to the right corners gives you other options. Start takes you from the desktop to the metro menu. Search takes you to a page with your apps. I have not found a dropdown/up menu like old windows.

It is taking me a while to get used to it. I updated the apps and found more stuff like free games.

The pre install thingy warned me that .Net would not work. I guess I need to install those before installing any games.

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: Staggerwing on October 26, 2012, 10:09:11 PM
Let us know what Win8 brings to the table that would make it worth the grief of upgrading from XP or 7.

Exactly.  I'm tired of companies churning buggy crap to get yet another hit of revenue. A lot of companies have no intention of ever making a stable product because they would have to shut down next year. The longer they game the system that faster people cease to care.

Give me a stable OS where apps run in closed virtual machines. Viruses, malware, etc should have no ability to do anything.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

junk2drive

Panzer Command won't run, I suspect .Net 1.1 is outdated.
Combat Mission Shock Force won't run, error for OpenGL, recommends new driver. AMD/ATI does not have a W8 driver.

Staggerwing

The only thing I've gotten to run so far are mostly Paradox games and Ageod stuff. HPS' Jutland seems ok as well. War Plan Orange gives a 'fatal error 770- cant get exclusive control of the screen' or some such thing. Arcanum seems ok though.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

junk2drive

I installed .Net 1.1 and Panzer Command now works.

junk2drive

Found a page at AMD with legacy drivers for my GPU and W8. CMSF now working well.

Staggerwing

I find that closing programs is a pain. Do the 'tile' programs such as 'Maps', 'Music' and 'Explorer' close by themselves once you return to desktop? They don't have 'close' buttons. Also, I really miss having an 'All Programs' list such as was available under the old 'Start' button menu. Is there a way to set one up? Right now if I want to fire up a legacy program such as a game or spreadsheet or something like my eBay Sniping program I have to hope I have a desktop icon or I have to go dishing through all the folders and try to figure out which .exe or .bat or whatnot will start 'er up.

junk2drive

There are a few webpages that list the hotkeys for W8. The tile apps can be closed with alt+F4

windows key + Q opens search but there is no all programs menu that I can find.

Staggerwing

I'm going to try to reinstall a few games and see what happens. Most of them either don't start or toss out errors such as 'invalid serial'. I'm starting to think that all I've got here is a glorified media server that might play a game or two when it feels like it. I'm so very glad I chose to try it out on a spare 'puter that I was going to purge and reformat anyway.

junk2drive

Go to youtube and look up <oops> be back with the proper name

Short and helpful

Staggerwing

That is so bookmarked now...  :) Thanks!

junk2drive

Staggerwing

He has a webpage: http://jagtutorials.com/. I googled it right after you posted.