I guess Win 8.1 was tired of waiting...?

Started by JasonPratt, October 13, 2014, 06:37:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Booted up early tonight (after the storm system passed) to discover that Microsoft was tired of waiting for me to say yes, and decided to upgrade my system to Win 8.1 without my consent.

So it dl'd without telling me, and pre-installed, and now is locked into whatever multiple level install procedure (with several restarts) will occur. At best I can hold it off indefinitely, maybe.

This wouldn't be so bad -- I've heard 8.1 is a major improvement -- except I quickly put that free shell program on my Win 8 system which simulates a proper XP start menu button, and knows to go to an XPish desktop when booting. I have no idea what will happen now in the update; will the two things conflict and break?  >:(

Thank you Microsoft. Thank you ever so. How about just refunding me half the cost for 8Pro for selling a broken tablet-swiping abortion of a UI that you forced on your customers first?

AND CHARLEMAGNE DLC FOR CK2 RELEASES TOMORROWWWWW!!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Martok

Allow me to lend you my commiseration and rage, Jason.  That sucks balls, man.  :tickedoff: 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Mr. Bigglesworth

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

JasonPratt

Quadripple balls?  :))

The nightmare appears to be over, for now. Fortunately I had enough sense to tell it not to do express setup, as it would have sent all kinds of information back to Microsoft's mothership in orbit.  >:(

(To be fair, a lot of similar phishy things would have been turned off in express, too.)

At any rate, my start button shell appears to be overriding the new old start button (or whatever), and the XPish UI seems to remain in place. My carefully calibrated video settings seem to be okay, too. All things considered, it could have been much, much worse; and I realize there were (supposed to be) helpful patches in the point update, not just an excuse to put the Start Menu and a proper Desktop back in play.

The installation didn't quite go off without a hitch, as about 15 minutes before I had told it to (I thought) remind me (actually it was going to restart at that time regardless), it interrupted my Lotro session by simply rendering all controls inoperative with mere system dings whenever I tried to click anything. I thought the game had crashed; but alt-tabbing out revealed the 'problem'. Did manage to save and leave once I acknowledged (not permitted) the install was going to continue in 13 minutes.  :crazy2:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Martok

Ick.  Talk about your glitches in the Matrix... 

Well, glad you got it sorted out for now anyway.  Here's hoping you can keep this s*** from happening again. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

undercovergeek

JasonPratt

Except most updates are important for security reasons. Though I think I had the updates on REQUEST PERMISSION, since up to last night it would occasionally pop up a message about 8.1 and I'd say no, don't want it.

That does remind me that the new settings were either/or, auto updates or none at all. I need to tinker with that and see if I can get it back to manual permission from alerts.

After playing the hell out of the new CK2 DLC of course. Priorities.  :coolsmiley:

undercovergeek

absolutely - it looks great, need to finish vanilla first