Anyone else regret 'upgrading' to 1440p?

Started by sandman2575, March 18, 2015, 03:10:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandman2575

I've had this idea for a while that I really needed to get a 2560x1440 monitor becuz that's what all the cool kids are doing (except for the supercool kids who are dabbling in 4K).  I've used a very trusty Asus 24" 144Hz 1080p monitor for a couple of years. It was great, although the colors were always a bit 'meh.'

So I finally took the plunge on a new Dell 1440p monitor, the U2715H 27".  It's gorgeous, no question. The upgrade from a TN to a fancy IPS screen is certainly noticeable.  To be honest, I don't really notice the difference in the slower refresh rate (60Hz vs. 144Hz) on the 1440p Dell.

But the EYE STRAIN!  It burns!  Text is miniscule -- even using the 125% DPI setting. Games like EUIV are simply unplayable for me without the larger font mod.

(I'd use the 150% DPI except Combat Misison x2 won't run in 1440p on this setting for some damned reason, and I play *a lot* of Combat Mission...).

Yeah, the extra real-estate of a 27" monitor is nice. 1440p resolution is crisp and sharp. But my eyes are just so tired.  I set the resolution to 1080p, and feel like a chump using this expensive 1440p monitor at 1080p, but it's just so much less visually exhausting.

Mostly just whinging and venting here...  But misery loves company -- anyone else here find 1440p less awesome than expected?

bbmike

I have an Alienware 17 with 1920x1080 resolution. The screen looks great as you say but my old eyes can't read the tiny text. I have to use reading glasses most of the time when using it!
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

sandman2575

Stay away from 1440p then, my friend!  I've worn glasses for years, eyes are def. not the best, but in general have no problems with 1920x1080.

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

sandman2575

See? There's no end to the mischief 1440p can wreak  ;)

Seriously, the Dell is a very nice monitor. I'm just starting to wish I had opted for a 1080p G-sync capable monitor instead.

JasonPratt

My new Surface Pro 3 defaults to 1440p, on a 12 inch screen. You can foresee the problems involved...  :P

And it still occasionally looks like blurry crap, which is weird. Apparently some sites, like the Steam shell, still aren't coded to run 1440p optimally, so there's distortion -- not everywhere but sometimes.

Setting the general screen resolution to 1080p, results in a screen exactly the same size (not zoomed in even one bit, so all the text is exactly the same size for example) with "widescreen" black bars top and bottom.  :uglystupid2:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!