Help me get my graphics card working!

Started by Huw the Poo, March 28, 2015, 04:55:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huw the Poo

I recently bought a new PC with the following specs:

AMD A8-6600K 3.9GHz quad core
8GB DDR3 RAM
500W PSU

I'm trying to install a GTX 570 and it just won't work, although it did in the antique dual core piece of crap I upgraded from.  Here's what happened:

1. Installed the card, switched on the PC.  No video output, card was very noisy.
2. Tightened the power connectors for the card, switched on PC.  Card made no noise I could make out but still no output.
3. Remembered reading somewhere that some PCs need integrated graphics disabled for a discrete GPU to work.  Disabled onboard graphics.  Still no display.  Removed card and now no output at all due to onboard graphics being disabled.  Cried a bit.  Reset CMOS.  Back to square 1.

What's going wrong?  There are two power connectors for the card but I only have enough MOLEX connectors for one of them on my mobo, however I only used one on the old PC and it still worked.  I would really appreciate any advice!

Staggerwing

Maybe you need both connections to be powered. You can get a molex adapter that gives you two connectors from one. They are usually very cheap from the online places. Even then, make sure that your power supply has the needed watts to run the card. What does the manufacturer say that your card requires?

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bbmike

Quote from: Staggerwing on March 28, 2015, 06:27:16 AM
Maybe you need both connections to be powered. You can get a molex adapter that gives you two connectors from one. They are usually very cheap from the online places. Even then, make sure that your power supply has the needed watts to run the card. What does the manufacturer say that your card requires?

I'll second that guess.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Huw the Poo

Well I'm at least 90% certain I only used one when it was in the last computer but it definitely won't hurt to try.  Thanks guys!

bbmike

Just remember if we're wrong or you blow something up it's probably Martok's fault.  :P
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Capn Darwin

I would look at the power requirements on the new card and also look at what your power supply can deliver. A split connector may not work if you can't get enough juice to the card.
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 28, 2015, 08:45:17 AM
Well I'm at least 90% certain I only used one when it was in the last computer but it definitely won't hurt to try.  Thanks guys!

I didn't realize this was not a new card. Also, just noticed in your OP that you have a 500w psu. That should run most non-bleeding-edge cards. You tried both power inputs on the card I take it? Did the fan spin?

Also, put the card back into the old computer and make sure it still works. It is always possible that it was damaged during the swap. The fact that it was noisy the first time in was seated and quiet the next is a little worrying. Do you have any other gfx cards you can try for diagnostics to rule out any issues with the mobo?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Huw the Poo

Thanks Staggerwing.  Yeah I'll try all your suggestions, I'm just not looking forward to it after all the pissing about I did last night.  I do have a different GPU to put in so I can always try that, and I can try putting the newer card back in the old PC too.  It will be difficult to run the PC while looking inside though due to space constraints but I'll try.

I've been doing some reading up and every article I've read so far says that both connectors must be used.  I've no idea how I got away with that with the old PC, but it does sound like a good place to start.  Until I can get some more adapters I might be able to salvage some molex connectors from the DVD drive and maybe something else, like the front I/O panel or something.

If I can't get this working it will have been almost pointless buying a new PC at all!

GDS_Starfury

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Huw the Poo

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 28, 2015, 10:49:34 AM
Im thinking your PSU is to weak.

I have an nVidia GTX 240 which I'll try; it's a tiny card and I don't think it even has a fan, so if it works then the PSU will immediately become the prime suspect.

GDS_Starfury

got this right off the spec sheet:

Maximum GPU Temperature (in C)
97 C
Maximum Graphics Card Power (W)
219 W
Minimum System Power Requirement (W)4
550 W
Supplementary Power Connectors4
Two 6-pin

so depending on what kind of motherboard and odds and ends you have in your build you might not have enough juice.
last year when I built my current pc I knew I was skating by with a 750 watt psu.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Huw the Poo

Oh shit.  Well it's going to be fun trying to get a PSU upgrade past my lady when I've only just bought a whole PC.

Thanks mate.  Looks like I'm going to be stuck with the 240 until I can get a new PSU. :(

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Huw the Poo

It did the last time I used it Bob.  I haven't tried it in the new pc but I'd be amazed if it doesn't work.

bob48

Gotchya. Does indeed seem to be a PSU issue then.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!