buying a new laptop for business, picked it, all good but comes with Win 8 Pro

Started by undercovergeek, June 22, 2015, 09:56:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

Never touched Win 8, cant roll back the laptop, doesnt come with a 7 option

Am i right in thinking 8 is a mess and needs 8.1? Is that a paid upgrade or can i just download 8.1 as soon as i switch on the laptop

and is 8 64 bit or is it either or

thanks for any help chaps

Barthheart

You should be able to go immediately to 10 and avoid 8 all together...

undercovergeek

it comes with 8 preloaded - theres a 10 upgrade option for 8 pro?

i thought it was just for Win 7 folk

Barthheart

Quote from: undercovergeek on June 22, 2015, 10:03:46 AM
it comes with 8 preloaded - theres a 10 upgrade option for 8 pro?

i thought it was just for Win 7 folk

Pretty sure it's for everyone.

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Staggerwing

Quote from: bbmike on June 22, 2015, 11:20:32 AM
You can upgrade to 8.1 through the Windows Store for free.

And then you can upgrade to Win10 for free after July 29th if you reserve your copy before then using the windows icon on the lower right side of the toolbar.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

undercovergeek

JasonPratt

Certainly agree about updating to 8.1 pronto.

Personally I recommend finding the Opensource Start menu program, too (the name of which escapes me at the moment, OpenStartShell maybe, though I doubt that's exactly it), since 8.1 doesn't really fix the lack of a proper Start menu. When I got my new Surface for the office (to test things for upgrading our accounting suite eventually and to play games with my nieces on a portable Windows platform), it came with 8.1 but still wanted to do that awful swipy mobile pseudo-start desktop, not the 'real' desktop which still didn't have a proper 'start' menu.  :P So I promptly found that shell program again and installed it and my life has been much easier and happier. I even gave them a Paypal donation I think.

While my Surface has registered for the new Win 10, I'm going to hold off installing it for a while, much less on my main gaming computer (The Presence) at home -- which for some reason has never given me an option to register for a free Win10 upgrade. Weird. I need to look into that before I lose the opportunity...
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!