"I came here to build a bridge" Rorke's Drift 1879

Started by nevermore, June 30, 2015, 02:17:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nevermore

"I came here to build a bridge" Rorke's Drift 1879

screen shot windows 7

Fantasic game and one that i think every wargamer would love to play or be apart of, rules were Victorian Steel which worked a treat, game was fast and we managed to complete the game in under 3 hours, British held on by the skin of the teeth.

Terrain boards were created by our own Adrian from Grimsby who did a great job and even had the slope and cave plus ditch added for hidden movement for those sneaky Zulus.I think everybody knows Adrian for his talents of  http://adrianswalls.co.uk/ .

52 photos uploaded to feast your eyes on at http://www.victorian-steel.com/ i took alot of photos of this so this week its the build up of the attack with the Boers riding off ect and Zulu's beginning the attack.

image upload no limit

post img

The post was established in a trading store-cum-mission station that consisted of a dwelling house and a chapel, both sturdily built of stone. The house was doing temporary duty as a field hospital,

photos upload

picture share

the chapel was full of stores and there were only 104 men who were fit enough to fight. The command of the post had passed to Lieutenant Chard of the Royal Engineers, when Major Henry Spalding of the 104th Regiment left on the morning of the 22nd January.

upload pics

gif image hosting

Commanding a company-strength was Lieutenant Bromhead of the 24th Regiment. James Langley Dalton, a volunteer serving as an Acting Assistant Commissary and a former Staff Sergeant, ordered the construction of barricades connecting the two buildings with sacks of corn, and an inner barricade with biscuit boxes. 

image upload no compression

upload pics

When the Zulus attacked, wielding their short stabbing assegais, they were unable to reach the men behind the barricades and they were blasted by rifle fire at point blank range. Most of those who did mount the breastwork were repulsed by the bayonets of the defenders. Some of the Zulus were armed with rifles, purchased from unscrupulous traders, but they were not trained marksmen and the British soldiers were able to pick them off at long range.

adult image sharing

image hosting 30 mb