What is wrong with Firefox?

Started by LongBlade, May 10, 2012, 09:17:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

Chrome is a very good browser, but Google is sorta the new Microsoft. Their products are all pretty tightly integrated now and that makes me a little worried from a privacy perspective.  Not there's much privacy left in the world these days anyway.

Also, I'm using FF on the Mac. I know a lot of you are Windows users. FF may be less stable for Windows than Mac. I don't have any hard proof of that though.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

Believe it or not I still use Safari on my Mac.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Centurion40

Quote from: MIGMaster on May 10, 2012, 02:09:36 PM
Not like the Chromer we had in "Head" Office - wink, wink, nudge, nudge  ;)

Nope.  I be da chrome!!  8)
Any time is a good time for pie.

mirth

Quote from: Gusington on May 10, 2012, 02:52:39 PM
Believe it or not I still use Safari on my Mac.

Never been a Safari fan. I was a FF user on Windows and stuck with it when I transitioned to Mac. Old habits die hard.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

LongBlade

Anyone do Opera just to be different?
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

mirth

Doing Oprah would be different.

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Fighting Farmer

Quote from: LongBlade on May 10, 2012, 09:17:44 AM
For years Firefox has served me faithfully, but recently I've noticed a couple of pages aren't working well with it.

Is anyone following the browser wars? What's up?
After their recent patches, some sites, such as Matrix Games, do not load properly, many web videos will not play and just various performance problems started occurring. I have none of these problems with explorer. I thought I was in the minority having problems with Firefox. If it was not that I have so many bookmarks and passwords saved on Firefox, I would dump it and move on to a new browser.

mirth

TheCommandTent

I am using FF and not having any problems with it.  I don't really have many add-ons though.  Does Chrome have add-ons?   I'm not sure I could live without my Photo-bucket uploader add-on for FF.  Not that I am think of switching.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

mirth

Chrome has add-ons. Dont think it's as many as FF.

Chrome started out as a lightweight ( meaning streamlined browser). Its primary purpose is as a gateway to all of Google's other products. That isnt meant as a knock on it as browser.

Staggerwing

Quote from: TheCommandTent on May 10, 2012, 07:15:34 PM
I am using FF and not having any problems with it.  I don't really have many add-ons though.  Does Chrome have add-ons?   I'm not sure I could live without my Photo-bucket uploader add-on for FF.  Not that I am think of switching.

No photobucket uploader yet (there is one for iPad BTW) which is one reason I have not bailed on FF completely.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Huw the Poo

Quote from: mirth on May 10, 2012, 02:34:39 PM
Chrome is a very good browser, but Google is sorta the new Microsoft. Their products are all pretty tightly integrated now and that makes me a little worried from a privacy perspective.  Not there's much privacy left in the world these days anyway.

Agreed.  Google get more creepy with every passing year, and it's got to the point where I just won't use its services any longer.  I think Chrome is a fine browser but I refuse to use it.  In fact I've managed to ween myself off every Google service except for Maps, for which I'm still seeking a replacement.

Long-time Firefox user here by the way and not having any issues, although I don't use many plugins either.  Martok, have you tried using a different profile?  It's been a long time since I had to do that with Firefox, but it did seem to fix any issues I used to have.

Martok

Quote from: Huw the Poo on May 11, 2012, 08:41:49 AM
Google get more creepy with every passing year, and it's got to the point where I just won't use its services any longer.  I think Chrome is a fine browser but I refuse to use it.  In fact I've managed to ween myself off every Google service except for Maps, for which I'm still seeking a replacement.
Your sentiment is similar to my own.  Thanks to Google's increasingly invasive practices, I almost never use it anymore. 

Bing's maps are okay, if you don't mind using a Microsoft product.  (I'm not terribly wild about it myself, but it still beats the alternative IMO.) 

Quote from: Huw the Poo on May 11, 2012, 08:41:49 AM
Long-time Firefox user here by the way and not having any issues, although I don't use many plugins either.  Martok, have you tried using a different profile?  It's been a long time since I had to do that with Firefox, but it did seem to fix any issues I used to have.
[Raises hand, embarrassed]  Um, how do I do that?  Never even heard of it before. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Huw the Poo

Ah, you know what?  It's been so long I can't even remember.  I did dig up this link from Mozilla for you though.  As they say, try the new profile first but deleting the old one.

Hope you get it sorted!