AMD FX-8350
8 Gigs Ram@1600
MSI R290 4GB GPU
Samsung 500GB SSD
WD Black 1 TB HDD
Thermaltake 750 watt Psu
Windows 7-64
32 inch monitor@2560x1440

I have around 500$ to burn and cant quite make up my mind what to upgrade. I have always used AMD CPU's and am leaning towards a i7 4790K with a decent motherboard and would like to overclock to around 4.4 or so. Being as these outperform the FX line as well as use less power I think its a no brainer but would like some suggestions. Ive also considered waiting until the full Skylake line is out but I would need new Ram as well and I imagine its more expensive.

GDS_Starfury

thats pretty much my rig with a different video card.  what needs updating?  that thing crushes every game I can think of or play.
maybe you should look into a close loop liquid cooling system.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

AchillesLastStand

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on August 23, 2015, 06:23:50 PM
thats pretty much my rig with a different video card.  what needs updating?  that thing crushes every game I can think of or play.
maybe you should look into a close loop liquid cooling system.

Why?
I see no logic in overclocking what is basically a 3 year old processor when even then it cant compete with the better Intels

Nefaro

If you get an i7, I recommend you buy a halfway decent after-market Heatsink & Fan to go on top of it.  The stock Intel fan for mine blows, probably the worst stock HSF I've ever seen, with a slow fan. 

I grabbed a Thermaltake (IIRC) to switch out later.  Got one of those that fits into the stock mount so I don't have to remove the whole damn motherboard to put the braces on the back, like many aftermarket ones.  So pay attention to whether any you buy will require that extra bit. 

Did I ever mention I don't like Intel's push & twist style HSF mounts?  They suck.  The ones with the old style mounts that AMD still uses are much better.

GDS_Starfury

I have a black edition thats a little over a year old and it rocks.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

AchillesLastStand

Quote from: Nefaro on August 23, 2015, 06:33:01 PM
If you get an i7, I recommend you buy a halfway decent after-market Heatsink & Fan to go on top of it.  The stock Intel fan for mine blows, probably the worst stock HSF I've ever seen, with a slow fan. 

I grabbed a Thermaltake (IIRC) to switch out later.  Got one of those that fits into the stock mount so I don't have to remove the whole damn motherboard to put the braces on the back, like many aftermarket ones.  So pay attention to whether any you buy will require that extra bit. 

Did I ever mention I don't like Intel's push & twist style HSF mounts?  They suck.  The ones with the old style mounts that AMD still uses are much better.

Yep got a i7 4790K with a Gigabyte Z97 UD3H Black motherboard along with a CM Evo 212 cooler. The performance increase is noticeable, sad to say I didn't switch from AMD to Intel sooner.

Bison

I used to be a pretty big fan of AMD and ATI, but now that I've been using an Intel and NVidia combo I'm not sure I'd go back.  I'd love to see AMD chipset compete with Intel more if for no other reason then to help lower Intel's prices.