PDF Reader = Kindle Fire

Started by airboy, January 13, 2016, 03:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

I bought a very inexpensive Kindle Fire, 7" as a PDF reader for game manuals and professional reading.

It has worked very well for the price (I got it for $35 on Black Friday).

Regular e-readers don't work that great as pdf readers.  The Kindle Fire was a pretty good compromise for both.

I've not used all of the other Fire features, but it is pretty versatile.

Huw the Poo

My lady just got a Fire because her Kindle supposedly died.  Of course, no sooner had we placed the order than somehow her Kindle mysteriously came back to life.

Still, she's very happy with the Fire.  And it has the added bonus that she can read it in the dark, unlike her Kindle.

Nefaro

I've had a Kindle Fire for .. about 3 years now?

Pretty much only use it for PDF game manuals (tons on it) and some e-books.   O0

Works just fine, although I'm noticing the battery life slowly dropping at this point.   Not looking forward to getting a replacement.

bayonetbrant

what PDF software are y'all using?  I got a Fire 6HD for Christmas and starting to load it up.  I need to side-load the Google acc't apps, tho, b/c right now I can't use G-Docs on the go, or the Inkpad notepad, and it's pissing me off.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Nefaro

My older Fire has it's own PDF reader.

Never had to do anything but plug it in to my PC and copy&paste over the PDFs I wanted to read.  I stuck them in the 'Documents' folder, on the Kindle, but I doubt it matters.

BanzaiCat

I like my 7" Kindle Fire, but I paid $49 for it last October or so, so I wasn't expecting much from it. It's not great, but not bad at all.

I love my Paperwhite, but the thing about it that keeps pissing me off is I keep losing the damn USB charger and plug. It's almost at empty right now and the damn thing has once again disappeared into thin air.

bayonetbrant

I borrowed my wife's old 1st-en Kindle for the trip to Hawaii for the funeral, and it was fantastic.  It was very light, very ergonomic, and very easy to read - I went thru 3-4 books on there during the trip, and the built-in, no-cost 3G connection let me check on the GH forums pretty easily on-the-go.  It would've been nice to be in color, but that would've extended far beyond it's intent.

I wasn't expecting a tablet for Xmas.  My mother-in-law bought my daughter a Kids' Kindle so I was just planning on taking over her 7-in Samsung tablet, not knowing I was getting my own.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 15, 2016, 11:31:34 AM
what PDF software are y'all using?  I got a Fire 6HD for Christmas and starting to load it up.  I need to side-load the Google acc't apps, tho, b/c right now I can't use G-Docs on the go, or the Inkpad notepad, and it's pissing me off.

The google pdf viewer app is small with a light memory footprint.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

BanzaiCat

I'll be damned if I can find my Kindle Paperwhite charger...bought another one off of Amazon as it was only six bucks with free shipping. Which means I'll find it in the next day or two.

Staggerwing

Those chargers are all fairly standardized. If you have an android phone you can probably use the same usb cord and mini-power brick.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys