New Kindle paperwhite 300ppi

Started by Mr. Bigglesworth, July 07, 2015, 07:36:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Bigglesworth

Need a good screen you can actually read outside?
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Staggerwing

The Paperwhites are terrific e-readers. I have the first-gen paperwhite and love it. The only thing that e-ink readers fare poorly at is books with lots of fiddly maps or graphics. For that pinch-zoom on an iPad or fast Android tab will always be better.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

airboy

Wall St. Journal gave this a very favorable review.  I'll get one when my first generation kindle with the light in the case eventually dies.

Toonces

The backlighting is pretty slick, Airboy.  You should upgrade.  They're not that expensive, and you can always keep the old one as a backup.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Steelgrave

My boys gave me one for Father's Day. I love it!

Mr. Bigglesworth

Got my first kindle, the new paperwhite, today. Tested it inside and outside at the park. Outside it is excellent. Everything looks like pencil drawing or charcoal. Under it's own light there is a faint purple hue at the bottom of the screen. Loaded 300 books onto it, offloaded them from the tablet, under the premise fewer big apps = faster tablet.

Recommend.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

airboy

I got my new Kindle Voyage last week.  I've had a first generation Kindle for years - but the switch is starting to get buggy and I have a multi-week trip coming up.  I got a very high end Voyage (with Wi-Fi and the 3G network) because I wanted to be able to change pages without touching the screen and I wanted to be able to buy books in train stations, airports, hotels, etc.....

The advantages of the new Kindle Voyage are:
1] The internal light system is awesome.  Easily adjusted.  You can read in bed and the light is so minimal it does not disturb your spouse.
2] It is really light weight.
3] In the summer in Alabama I can read in the dark in the bedroom when it is in the 80s - 90s outside at night.  This prevents heating up the bedroom with reading lights - which is a real plus.

Disadvantage:
1] The page controls to go back and forth plus the ability to move pages by touching the screen causes me to jump back or forward occasionally.
2] The touch screen part of the controls (compared to the first Kindle generation with buttons and a movable mouse) is difficult to use accurately every single time.

I may get past the disadvantages over time with more practice.

I think that the Paperwhite was a better deal.  You can adjust the brightness with the paperwhite - and that ended up being the feature that was a real advancement.  I still have to touch my screen with the Voyage because there is no keyboard - mouse mover.

BanzaiCat

I have the first gen Kindle Paperwhite and love it...no need to upgrade any time soon for me.

airboy

Quote from: airboy on August 25, 2015, 11:22:33 AM
I got my new Kindle Voyage last week.  I've had a first generation Kindle for years - but the switch is starting to get buggy and I have a multi-week trip coming up.  I got a very high end Voyage (with Wi-Fi and the 3G network) because I wanted to be able to change pages without touching the screen and I wanted to be able to buy books in train stations, airports, hotels, etc.....

The advantages of the new Kindle Voyage are:
1] The internal light system is awesome.  Easily adjusted.  You can read in bed and the light is so minimal it does not disturb your spouse.
2] It is really light weight.
3] In the summer in Alabama I can read in the dark in the bedroom when it is in the 80s - 90s outside at night.  This prevents heating up the bedroom with reading lights - which is a real plus.

Disadvantage:
1] The page controls to go back and forth plus the ability to move pages by touching the screen causes me to jump back or forward occasionally.
2] The touch screen part of the controls (compared to the first Kindle generation with buttons and a movable mouse) is difficult to use accurately every single time.

I may get past the disadvantages over time with more practice.

I think that the Paperwhite was a better deal.  You can adjust the brightness with the paperwhite - and that ended up being the feature that was a real advancement.  I still have to touch my screen with the Voyage because there is no keyboard - mouse mover.

I gave my wife a Paperwhite for Christmas.  She loves it.

Strong recommendation based on a lot of experience:
Paperwhite = well worth the money.
Kindle Voyage = Not worth the extra money over a paperwhite

BanzaiCat

I have a Fire also (the smaller version), which I did some reading on over Christmas vacation, but I prefer the paperwhite for reading precisely because the backlighting is so awesome.