Applescript/automator help for a complete n00b

Started by Staggerwing, January 31, 2016, 03:01:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

I need some help from some of you veteran Mac-heads out there. At work next week I need to convert about 4000-odd Apple Numbers spreadsheet files to PDFs. Numbers does have an export feature and PDF is one of the available formats but doing each one by hand is not feasible so I was hoping to figure out a way to automate the process. It will be the first time I have ever used either applescript or automator so I was wondering if one of you had already done something like this before.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Huw the Poo

I don't use Macs myself but I wonder whether this page would help?  The thread starter seems to want exactly what you do.

Staggerwing

Thanks. I did actually run across that same search result but all the codespeak is beyond my tiny australopithecine brain. I was hoping there was some visual plug and play kind of thing in Automator. There appear to be some action blocks (or whatever they are) relating to word-type files but I couldn't find any that would relate to Numbers.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

Thanks. What's weird is that in the resource you linked, the article writer says to choose the 'document' option after creating a workflow project. In his screenie that option is right between 'developer' and 'files and folders'. When I open Automator and create a new workflow project there is no such option in the list. it goes right from 'Developer' to 'Files and folders'. Huh.  ???

mirth

There has to be a fairly simple way to automate it, but I lack the experience to tell you what it is :(
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

I did find an online place that does conversions of all kinds. You can do a few for free or pay to convert a crapload. Maybe I'll just use that service and submit the receipt to my boss...   ;)