Remote login-to-work advice needed

Started by Staggerwing, February 26, 2016, 08:15:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

Hey guys, I need some recommendations for a good (free or dirt cheap) application to log into my work computer from home. It needs to be something that will automatically pick up a session if the internet drops out for a minute or two without requiring someone actually there to authorize it. I have to get some stuff done that I don't have time for during regular hours, primarily setting up a new POS/inventory/Medical records system. There won't be any actual patient records yet so security is not a concern atm but I have a lot of simple drag n drop and cut n paste to do for the products and services involved so I wanted to be able to get some of it done from home on the weekend. I will likely only need to use it for a week or so.

The work comp is a Win7 box and I need:

1. simple operation

2. no person at the site needed to 'let me in'

3. connectivity automatically resumes after a brief connection drop out.

4. Being able to run the home client (or whatever) from OS X would be a big plus but I do have a Win7 and Win10 machine if needed

After the system is ready to go live and have the patient records imported I could then just delete the remote app for security.

Any advice would be appreciated. If I get this done I may not need to stay at work so late thus I will have an extra few hours a week to start gaming at home again.  O0
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

We just use MS Remote Desktop at work.
http://www.howtogeek.com/131961/how-to-access-windows-remote-desktop-over-the-internet/

There's an OSX compatible version of Remote Desktop
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/microsoft-remote-desktop/id715768417?mt=12

That first link above walks you through creating a VPN tunnel between the machines you want to connect. That's the best option from a security standpoint.

You should be able to configure remote desktop to auto reconnect after a connection drop.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

OJsDad

I'll second Mirth's recommendation, we use Remote Desktop at work to access our customers servers. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Staggerwing

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

Gusington

We use a combination of remote desktop and a Citrix product...but Citrix is most definitely not free.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

He guys, I'm necromaging this thread because I need some follow up advice. I no longer need a VPN to connect to a PC but now need a good one to connect iMac to iMac, and I need it to be as secure as possible, budget withstanding.

My employers are doctors who are frequently on call during nights and weekends and right now they have to drive to the office (not too far but still a pain at 2AM) to check a patient record in response to a call that doesn't require actually seeing the patient in person. They would like to set up an EMR client at home to connect with the office server. Setting it up is no problem but they need a OS X friendly VPN that has good security. They are only using it for assessing the server so they don't need any bells and whistles. However, it needs to be very easy to use. They are very tech-nonsavy and I don't want to have to talk them through fixing problems (assuming I would even know how to do so) in the middle of the night. If there are no free VPN apps that fit the bill I am pretty sure they will spring for a paid service as long as it isn't too expensive. I've noticed that there are a number of paid services but it's hard to know who will be reliable.

Any recommendations for an OS X VPN out there?

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Staggerwing

Quote from: mirth on January 22, 2017, 08:46:36 AM
The Server App does

http://www.macworld.com/article/3127065/networking/how-to-set-up-macos-server-s-vpn-service.html

Thanks- I forgot all about macOS server app and that it was replacing some of the defunct OS X Server stuff. I'll give it a test run and see if it does the trick.

Just in case there are issues with MacOS server, has anyone used ExpressVPN? It gets a lot of mention in some of the browsing I just did on VPNs.

mirth

Oddly enough, despite years of working on a Mac, I never had to use a VPN.

Staggerwing

I'm going to try setting up something at home between two Macs and see if it works. I need a simple stand-in for the server/client setup at work. I wonder if hosting some kind of MP game would do. Anything recommended that works similar to most common Mac-based business programs that utilize LAN clients?