Best Free Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware Protection?

Started by Gusington, February 28, 2016, 05:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

My new rig's free trial of McAffee has expired. What do you guys recommend as a free replacement? I'd rather not spend 40.00 if I don't have to. Thanks all.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Gusington

I see AVG also has a pay edition. Is the free one good enough?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

DoctorQuest

Avast+Spybot.

Avast Free has gotten a little more annoying with ads but I still like it.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Gusington

Any benefits that Avast offers that AVG does not or vice versa?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

bob48

Quote from: Gusington on February 28, 2016, 05:08:39 PM
I see AVG also has a pay edition. Is the free one good enough?

We have been using the free version for several years with complete satisfaction. We do buy the payware tune-up stuff though, which is also pretty good. We really have no problems with AVG stuff.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

undercovergeek

+1 to the Bob

first thing ive installed on new kit for the last 8 years and its never, ever interferred with games stuff

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

mirth

I've used both in the past. I still have Spybot installed. I've been using that for 10-plus years.

Windows Defender and Windows firewall both work well enough too.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Gusington

Spybot gets along with other av programs without issue?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Quote from: Gusington on February 28, 2016, 06:04:46 PM
Spybot gets along with other av programs without issue?

I've never had a problem with it. I don't let a lot of automated stuff run with any of the Malware/AV products I use. I run manual scans every so often. I find that if you set everything to auto, it eats up a lot of system resources. It's a trade off and I count on the firewall to keep out the worst of things.

Gusington

The one issue I ever had was with McAfee not allowing Shogun 2 to launch, so I suppose I have been pretty lucky.

OK so I have AVG installed along with their web tuneup app. I don't have their performance or safe surf apps applied.

I will now get Spybot.

Thanks guys! You've saved me some dough and AVG looks to be more user friendly, less annoying and perhaps more gooder than McAfee.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth

McAfee is one of the worst AV apps out there. Big piece of bloatware. I gave up on it years ago.

Gusington

^Yeah I remember you posting that a few times. Couldn't find those threads though.

OK so I got Spybot v1.6.2 Search & Destroy loaded. Does it run in the background on its own?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd