New game from original X-Com creator: Phoenix Point

Started by IronX, March 18, 2016, 10:45:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

I felt the same.  I liked some of the innovations they put into the tactical system but the management layer seemed a bit off.  I felt the story was rather bland and the game just didn't ever seem to gel.

ArizonaTank

I understand and agree that sometimes the game just does not come together.

What changed for me was the DLC. The additional depth and complexity to the strategic game that the DLC add, really changed my opinion in a positive way.

However, the DLC also open up more decision branches and things to do...and this might cause a plague of too many choices for some players. But for me, I enjoyed the new decision branch openings. 

Having said all of that, I still have not played through the game with all DLC. I do wonder sometimes if some of the DLC are stepping on toes of other DLC. So not certain how the game behaves mid and late game.

But for me, I have already gotten enough good playtime out of the game overall to be very satisfied. Overall, I enjoy the combat in Phoenix Point more than XCOM2.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

JasonPratt

Are there undeadish things in Phoenix Point? ....uh, because if so, ARISE THREAD!

More seriously, Steam has a pre-Christmas turn-base-game sale going on this weekend, and Phoenix Point Complete Edition is on it at 51% off (or at little over US$25).

Keeping in mind this includes all DLC, is the game worth it? Seems like it might be, but...
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

ArizonaTank

Quote from: JasonPratt on December 09, 2022, 12:30:00 PM
Are there undeadish things in Phoenix Point? ....uh, because if so, ARISE THREAD!

More seriously, Steam has a pre-Christmas turn-base-game sale going on this weekend, and Phoenix Point Complete Edition is on it at 51% off (or at little over US$25).

Keeping in mind this includes all DLC, is the game worth it? Seems like it might be, but...

I like it...other folks not so much...as you can see in the thread. But if you like squad tactical turn based, I don't think you can lose for $25. There is a whole bunch of game in there for that amount of money.

I think the biggest criticism of the game is also a strength for some; the devs basically did something like XCOM with less chrome. So for some it comes across as "soulless." But for others it is "streamlined."
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.