I-pad, Kindle Fire ???

Started by MIGMaster, February 06, 2012, 01:36:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MIGMaster

I'm a magazine kinda guy and I want to move into the pure digitial domain. My stash is growing waaaaaayyyyyyy too large. I usually read guitar mags, RC mags and combat aircraft, etc... I would really like to get the best platform for the job. My Kindle will read .pdf's, but it is not a smooth process in most cases. The other limiting factor is that some mags are only offered via iTunes at this point. I'm not much of an Apple guy and I prefer e-ink to conventional displays, however I realize that this is currently not an option with the iPad or Fire.

Does anybody have magazine subscriptions for the iPad or Kindle fire ? If so do you find it hard on the eyes ?

Thanks guys !

LongBlade

Quote from: MIGMaster on February 06, 2012, 01:36:18 PM
I'm a magazine kinda guy and I want to move into the pure digitial domain. My stash is growing waaaaaayyyyyyy too large. I usually read guitar mags, RC mags and combat aircraft, etc... I would really like to get the best platform for the job. My Kindle will read .pdf's, but it is not a smooth process in most cases. The other limiting factor is that some mags are only offered via iTunes at this point. I'm not much of an Apple guy and I prefer e-ink to conventional displays, however I realize that this is currently not an option with the iPad or Fire.

Does anybody have magazine subscriptions for the iPad or Kindle fire ? If so do you find it hard on the eyes ?

Thanks guys !

I don't have any mag subscriptions, but comic books look awesome on my Fire.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Shelldrake

I plan on picking up a 10" tablet (Android OS) for pdf reading but will wait until the Tegra 3 quad core cpu is more widely available.

Benchmarks for Tegra 3 look promising.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/12/nvidia-tegra-3-benchmarked/
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

LongBlade

I'll be honest - internal speeds mean little to me when we're discussing tablets.

I can't tell the difference between my iPad and my Kindle Fire in terms of performance. It's not like we're playing Call of Duty on it or anything.

The biggest issue IMHO is the Fire lacks a 3G card but is at least half the price. Don't expect to put every song and movie and book you've ever owned on it and for the money I don't think you'll be disappointed.

MIGMaster

Well I guess the Kindle Fiire is out of contention - none of the Amazon content for it is available in Canada !!!! On the upside the Kobo Vox may be an option....

http://www.kobo.com/ereaders/kobo-vox.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=brand&gclid=CMm2loLMk64CFS6FQAod53M0JA

I didn't even know that Kobo had a tablet out there ! Leave it to me to adopt a 2 platform system - a Kindle e-reader and a Kobo tablet....................

Ahhh, scratch that - the reviews are not positive - here's one example:

http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/23/2583371/kobo-vox-review

And the field continues to narrow.................

Shelldrake

Kobo tablet does have lots of issues but I love my Kobo touch ereader.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

MIGMaster

I was thinking about picking one of those up for my wife. How is the book selection ? My major reason for going with the Kindle was the large number of military books at Amazon....

Shelldrake

Quote from: MIGMaster on February 10, 2012, 01:14:42 PM
I was thinking about picking one of those up for my wife. How is the book selection ? My major reason for going with the Kindle was the large number of military books at Amazon....

Selection is good through Chapters/Indigo. Reads epub and pdf.

Dean Edell

Centurion40

Quote from: Shelldrake on February 10, 2012, 12:36:57 PM
Kobo tablet does have lots of issues but I love my Kobo touch ereader.

I was thinking of getting a Kindle then downloading content from Chapters, even though they are Kobo-centric.  I suspect that the content would still work on a Kindle.
Any time is a good time for pie.

Shelldrake

You can always use Calibre to convert ebooks from one format to another.

Dean Edell

MIGMaster

Shell does the Kobo archive (the stuff you buy and your own files) to the Chapters website for storage ?

Shelldrake

Quote from: MIGMaster on February 13, 2012, 12:03:44 PM
Shell does the Kobo archive (the stuff you buy and your own files) to the Chapters website for storage ?

I am not sure about Chapters but anything bought at the Kobo store is archived and available from your online library.

Dean Edell

MIGMaster

LongBlade

I heard news of this the other day - that Apple was considering a smaller version.

In my mind that cements the Fire as a competitor to the iPad.

In fact, looking at every "competing" tablet out there, they are almost universally smaller.