I-pad, Kindle Fire ???

Started by MIGMaster, February 06, 2012, 01:36:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MIGMaster

i defintely like the size of the Fire better than the current iPad. I don't have any inclination to carry around something as big as a drink tray.

Staggerwing

Quote from: LongBlade on February 24, 2012, 09:02:39 AM
I heard news of this the other day - that Apple was considering a smaller version.

In my mind that cements the Fire as a competitor to the iPad.

In fact, looking at every "competing" tablet out there, they are almost universally smaller.

One thing I like a lot about my iPad2 is the camera and Facetime. I can keep in touch with my distant family members
visually without sitting in front of the desktop. I can even follow the kids around and make them see their grandparents.
Some of the Android tablets have cameras but the Fire isn't one of them. Still, I do wish I had a more 'pocket sized' tablet
to carry with me and to read in bed at night. The iPad is a bit heavy and unwieldy to carry every where the way I do my
iPhone (who's screen is too small to squint at for more than a few minutes at a time).
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MIGMaster

I think there is definitely a sweet spot for tab size. My Kindle e-reader is just a bit too small, but the iPad is too big. I like the zie of the playbook if it was just a "tiny bit" bigger. Just for the folks south of the border, "tiny bit" is a metric unit of measurement  ;)

Staggerwing

Down here I believe it's 1 bit = 3 smidgens.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

MIGMaster

:D I never was that fluent in the US/Imperial system.

LongBlade

Quote from: MIGMaster on February 25, 2012, 01:29:58 PM
:D I never was that fluent in the US/Imperial system.

I've always favored cubits myself.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

MIGMaster

I could never figure out if you had to freeze them first ? Maybe that was only if they were ice cubits .....

Centurion40

I prefer units of measurement that begin with the letter "F".
Any time is a good time for pie.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Centurion40 on February 26, 2012, 08:00:50 AM
I prefer units of measurement that begin with the letter "F".

Such as Furlongs, Firkins, and Fortnights?

Maybe we could just settle on three fingers of Scotch.

LongBlade

I always thought three fingers measured something else...

Staggerwing

Quote from: LongBlade on February 26, 2012, 11:47:21 AM
I always thought three fingers measured something else...

As in, measured before the Royal Wedding can proceed?

MIGMaster

I'd love to see what Charles uses to measure with  - must be both feet !

Staggerwing

FYI:
Amazon has some Kindle Fires (refurbished) on sale for $169US while supplies last... which would be one unit less than an hour ago. 8)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0051VVOB2/?ie=UTF8&tag=mysimon&linkCode=ur2&qid=1327619743&camp=1789&sr=8-1&creative=9325&condition=refurbished

LongBlade

Quote from: Staggerwing on February 28, 2012, 10:08:00 PM
FYI:
Amazon has some Kindle Fires (refurbished) on sale for $169US while supplies last... which would be one unit less than an hour ago. 8)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0051VVOB2/?ie=UTF8&tag=mysimon&linkCode=ur2&qid=1327619743&camp=1789&sr=8-1&creative=9325&condition=refurbished

Nice. Let us know how you like it.

Staggerwing

Will do. Should be here tomorrow as I am a prime member (2nd day shipping). I'll have to see which tablet, ipad2 or fire, I reach
for most after a month when I want to look up something or browse news sites.