Main Menu

Windows 10 Attack

Started by Johnnie, May 21, 2016, 04:48:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnnie

Yesterday on my office PC and today on my gaming machine, I "inadvertently" upgraded to Windows 10.  I was getting popups everday but thought I was carefully closing the popups.  Today I was playing DC 3 Barbarossa when, I swear, it happened on its own, right in the middle of my turn.

This happen to anyone else?  I am really upset by it.

Gusington

Yes it happened to me a few days ago. However when I got to the install screen I was able to hit 'decline legalese' and it actually worked...did not install. It did not offer you a last chance to decline their terms and abort the install?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Johnnie

No Gus.  I didn't get to the legal until it had already installed, about an hour into it.  I agreed to the legal stuff at that point thinking it was already done. 

Gusington

^Oh crap. Can you go to a previous install point on your HD?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Johnnie

Don't know.  Not sure I want to mess with it either. What is in it for Microsoft to "force" you to "upgrade?"

bobarossa

Microsoft has been installing updates for a couple years now to allow them to do this to you.  On my Win7 machine I have identified 7 updates so far that are part of it.  You can decline installing them or even uninstall them (control panel/programs and features; select 'view installed updates' in upper left). 
KB3068708
KB3022345
KB3075249
KB3080149
KB2952664
KB3035583
KB3138612
I'm sure there will be more.  So far they have always been buried in the updates that aren't listed as a security update.

bobarossa

Quote from: Johnnie on May 21, 2016, 05:09:25 PM
Don't know.  Not sure I want to mess with it either. What is in it for Microsoft to "force" you to "upgrade?"
My memory is that Microsoft buried into win10 the ability to force you to accept updates and to allow for subscription option for windows.  This will allow them to force you to pay a yearly subscription to keep your PC functioning.  Media and user backlash made them disable those features but I'm sure they can be turned back on. 

They claim the reason is to reduce costs by not having to support older operating systems (not untrue).

Huw the Poo

It's to give them more control over your PC and, by extension, you.  The built-in spyware is a revenue stream for them too.

mirth

Quote from: Huw the Poo on May 21, 2016, 05:19:31 PM
It's to give them more control over your PC and, by extension, you.  The built-in spyware is a revenue stream for them too.

Bingo. Built-in spyware and adware.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

Johnnie, there is a lengthy ongoing discussion about Windows 10 in this thread. Including folk's battles to keep Win 10 off their systems.

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=13776.250
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

FarAway Sooner

The settings on their pop-up windows changed a few weeks back, and it got a lot easier for folks to inadventently approve installation.  They switched to an "opt out" model as opposed to an "opt in" model.

That said, the "free upgrade" window is coming to a close (for those who plan to ever install it) on (I think) June 30th.  I don't have all the reservations that many do in the referenced thread and went ahead and took the plunge.  It was the easiest upgrade I've done yet, but still had a pothole or two.

The fact that I've only hit one or two potholes almost a week in is annoying, but a good sign compared to previous upgrades.  Once you do the upgrade, you can then reinstall from scratch with a clean build, should you so desire.

WallysWorld

I set up my Windows 7 Updates to notify me of any updates, but not to download. That way I check each and every update for stuff like this Windows 10 upgrade thing.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Redwolf

The behavior from Microsoft is at least 20 years old. Anybody who still uses windows for anything important gets what they deserve.

Dread Rlyeh

You can disable the windows update service.  I honestly don't think this carries a huge amount of risk if you are behind a hardware, software firewall + adblock.  Wait until the plebs have tested out the updates, and update every few months or so.  That has been my MO for years without issue.  Small sample size and all...

Nefaro

Quote from: WallysWorld on May 21, 2016, 09:03:42 PM
I set up my Windows 7 Updates to notify me of any updates, but not to download. That way I check each and every update for stuff like these Windows 10 upgrade thing.

This.

I've been setting this option, on all my personal Windows installs, for years.

No sudden surprises.

Are some of my Windows features susceptible to some vague back door security issue?  Perhaps.  But I guarantee they still exist on the fully updated ones too.  :P