Main Menu

Windows 10 Attack

Started by Johnnie, May 21, 2016, 04:48:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jomni

Yes. It eventually installed 10 on my machine too. So far so good but that was annoying.
It's a bit faster than 8 but it messed up my start screen.

Anguille

I have avoided it so far. Do you have to reinstall everything after the update?

Staggerwing

Quote from: Anguille on May 22, 2016, 03:42:22 AM
I have avoided it so far. Do you have to reinstall everything after the update?

No, the only thing left to install is Windows 7.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Rekim

Last week I did a mid-life upgrade on my PC as I was running low on RAM and HD space. It had been 5 years, so also time to refresh the OS. I decided to stick with Win7 for all of the above reasons. I like to run a pair of HDs with RAID-0 which provides a single logical drive but with the combined throughput of two. The Win7 install media lacks some of the drivers needed for the RAID config and for the life of me I could not remember all of the steps/software I'd used to get the original install working. I ended up with a half-baked Win7 install with all sorts of issues, so I decided to apply the Win10 upgrade for shits and giggles. The upgrade went fine, everything working as it should, and I must say that I'm quite pleased with the results. I find the UI to be more intuitive than with Win8. The desktop graphics I find to be more streamlined/minimalized, which is a new trend for MS. System performance also seems snappy. Overall I must admit to being unexpectedly impressed.

That said, my computer is basically a dedicated gaming/surfing PC. If that were not the case I'm not sure I would have even considered the Win10 upgrade given all the spyware and crap going on behind the scenes.

Richie61

My Wife did the upgrade on her laptop awhile ago and loved it till this " "Critical Error - Start menu and Cortana aren't working. We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in."

Even if you do the "safe mode" boot half ass reset, it crashes every 2 to 3 days.  >:(

What I find really screwed up about this error is that a complete year later and MS can't figure out why it happens or fix it  :tickedoff:

Ed
aka Richie61

"If You Don't Stand for Something, You'll Fall for Anything"

Shelldrake

I recently used Never10 on my Win7 computer at work to prevent the Win10 installation. Seemed to work just fine and the program will even delete 7 GB of Win10 files hiding on your hard drive.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/never_10.html
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Staggerwing

I actually did end up upgrading the bookshelf PC I use for my 3D printers and it is way better than Win8 for regular use but what I don't like is that a lot of the settings to tweak stuff are hard to find. Luckily I have an iMac for regular online computing because I would never use Win10 for web browsing (besides 3d forums related to printing, such as Thingiverse) or any kind of online banking or shopping. Same goes for any thing private such as researching medical questions or such. Ditto for email.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

mirth

Quote from: Shelldrake on May 22, 2016, 08:21:44 AM
I recently used Never10 on my Win7 computer at work to prevent the Win10 installation. Seemed to work just fine and the program will even delete 7 GB of Win10 files hiding on your hard drive.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/never_10.html

I've used a similar tool to remove the Win10 nagware

It's the GWX removal tool found here -
http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Tuna

Quote from: Richie61 on May 22, 2016, 07:49:46 AM
My Wife did the upgrade on her laptop awhile ago and loved it till this " "Critical Error - Start menu and Cortana aren't working. We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in."

Even if you do the "safe mode" boot half ass reset, it crashes every 2 to 3 days.  >:(

What I find really screwed up about this error is that a complete year later and MS can't figure out why it happens or fix it  :tickedoff:

Same thing happened to my wife.. It's funny I have an ID on her laptop that is fine. Only solution is to make a 'new' ID I found. Her desktop was covered 3 times over with icons, I wonder if that had something to do with it.

Richie61

Quote from: Tuna on May 22, 2016, 09:09:53 AM
Quote from: Richie61 on May 22, 2016, 07:49:46 AM

Same thing happened to my wife.. It's funny I have an ID on her laptop that is fine. Only solution is to make a 'new' ID I found. Her desktop was covered 3 times over with icons, I wonder if that had something to do with it.

I need to try something other that the safe boot deal. I think I will try a new ID too. Best part is that she is pissed about this and wants a new LT.
I will gladly take her 19" Toshiba Satellite LT that is 3 years old  ;D
Ed
aka Richie61

"If You Don't Stand for Something, You'll Fall for Anything"

berto

Quote from: Johnnie on May 21, 2016, 04:48:46 PM
Yesterday on my office PC and today on my gaming machine, I "inadvertently" upgraded to Windows 10.  I was getting popups everday but thought I was carefully closing the popups.  Today I was playing DC 3 Barbarossa when, I swear, it happened on its own, right in the middle of my turn.

This happen to anyone else?  I am really upset by it.

Google:  windows 10 rollback
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

GeneralHawk

Thanks for those never10 links guys!  I was doing int manually but nice and easy to use these now.
Gundog for life
D Co 2-35 IN
3 BDE 25th ID
OEF/OIF

Staggerwing

If you do the rollback in the first month of instal you can just go to 'settings' and use the restore option. When I got to the office this morning and turned on the workhorse PC it immediately started to install Win 10. I'm almost certain that on Thursday or Friday my co-worker accidentally allowed the Win10 scheduler to set an install time over the weekend. I waited until the install was done, verified that Win 10 would not work with a key piece of serial tech, and then proceeded to throw Da Bum out. Easy-Peasy.

I did speak to the fabrication lab for whom we need the serial equipment and they just had a conference with some equipment manufacturers who warned them that the switch-over was almost certainly inevitable and not far off at all. Apparently it is a very poorly-kept secret that Windows as we know it will disappear and in it's place will come a constantly self-updating organism much like Google's Chrome OS, except not free. You will have to fork over some cash every so often for it to keep working.

Swatter

Quote from: Staggerwing on May 23, 2016, 06:20:28 PM
If you do the rollback in the first month of instal you can just go to 'settings' and use the restore option. When I got to the office this morning and turned on the workhorse PC it immediately started to install Win 10. I'm almost certain that on Thursday or Friday my co-worker accidentally allowed the Win10 scheduler to set an install time over the weekend. I waited until the install was done, verified that Win 10 would not work with a key piece of serial tech, and then proceeded to throw Da Bum out. Easy-Peasy.

I did speak to the fabrication lab for whom we need the serial equipment and they just had a conference with some equipment manufacturers who warned them that the switch-over was almost certainly inevitable and not far off at all. Apparently it is a very poorly-kept secret that Windows as we know it will disappear and in it's place will come a constantly self-updating organism much like Google's Chrome OS, except not free. You will have to fork over some cash every so often for it to keep working.

The notion that you will be pushed into some sort of subscription scheme if you upgrade to Windows 10 is just not based on facts. There is an intense hate-fueled rumor mill that sees the worst in every MS action. I am not here to defend MS, but simply to reject the rumor mill. If you upgrade to Windows 10 while its free, you can use it and get updates for free (likely for many years). That much is clear. What is not clear is what will happen after Windows 10, several years down the road. Maybe the next version of "Windows" will be subscription based, nobody really knows except the people at MS.

If you are worried about your privacy, do some research and you can minimize the spying through various settings.

mirth

Quote from: Swatter on May 25, 2016, 03:03:05 PM
If you are worried about your privacy, do some research and you can minimize the spying through various settings.

You really shouldn't have to research to keep your OS from spying on you. MS has made it unnecessarily difficult for ordinary users to avoid the spyware built into Win 10. The presumption is that users have opted in unless they jump through hoops to opt out.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus