Wargame Notes on Screen Captures - Help??

Started by airboy, May 26, 2016, 10:34:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

I would like to be able to mark on screen captures what my strategy is, make written comments on the screen capture, show lines of attack, etc......

I have the basic MS Paint software.  I played around with it and I can do some editing of pictures to show the strategy, tactics, etc..... 

But what are the other options available? 

Note: I'm not artistic or visually adept.  I need something simple to use that can edit all sorts of screen captures so I can do better game reviews or AARs.

Again - I need something simple and basic to use.  I can use MS Paint and it works - ok. 

bayonetbrant

Honestly, your best bet is to drop your screen caps into PowerPoint, and use text boxes / arrows to annotate.  That way you can move the text and arrows around as much as you need without messing up the pictures underneath.

From there, you can export each PPT slide as a separate JPG image.

While there are plenty of nice high-end graphics packages out there, PPT is about the easiest thing for most people to adapt to, and you've probably already used it a bunch and have some familiarity with it.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bbmike

And if you are looking at nice graphics packages the one that I use and can recommend is Snagit.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Crossroads

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 26, 2016, 10:41:41 AM
Honestly, your best bet is to drop your screen caps into PowerPoint, and use text boxes / arrows to annotate.  That way you can move the text and arrows around as much as you need without messing up the pictures underneath.

From there, you can export each PPT slide as a separate JPG image.

While there are plenty of nice high-end graphics packages out there, PPT is about the easiest thing for most people to adapt to, and you've probably already used it a bunch and have some familiarity with it.

This is what I do as well. Works the treat, and at least the latest Powerpoint has the ability to save the created files under most formats: bmps, jpgs, pngs, what not.

--
off topic - does Grogheads support spoiler tags

[spoiler]
test
[/spoiler]
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Con

I have used Photoshop to good effect on this but it has a steeper learning curve and a lot of unnecessary bells and whistles

Con

GDS_Starfury

there has to be something similar to watplanner or wottactic.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.