Windows Live Mail Ends June - Suggestions?

Started by Ian C, June 17, 2016, 09:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian C

Microsoft is ending Live Mail at the end of June. This means anyone using the Windows Live Mail 2012 application will be screed unless they do what MS wants and upgrades to Windows 10 to use the integral 'Mail' app.

The issue I have is that I've tried Windows 10 Mail and it's a massively counter-intuitive and dumbed-down. It's functionality compared to Live Mail is inadequate. Windows also appears to be making mail collection an integral part of the OS desktop experience, which I really don't like because Windows 10 Mail runs constantly in the background, which I don't want happening while I'm running intensive media production software.

Anyone have any suggestions? I've installed Mozilla Thunderbird, which is the closest to Live Mail so far but I want something as close as possible. Thanks.

Huw the Poo

It's been a long time since I used anything other than kmail (exclusive to Linux I believe), but before that I used Thunderbird which always did what I asked of it.  It's a great email client.

Huw the Poo

I tell a lie, kmail is available for Windows as well.  Dunno how similar it is to live mail (which I've never used) but it is my favourite mail client.

Ian C

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Ian C on June 17, 2016, 04:11:23 PM
Thanks for that I'll check it out. 8)

Doesn't hurt to try, innit. :)

If you are intrigued by kmail, it fits into a wider PIM called Kontact which is a piece of software I simply can't live without.  Linux is the primary platform so I don't know what it's like on Windows, but it's very featureful and designed to compete with Outlook.

Boggit

That's a pain. I use Windows Live Mail 2012. >:(
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Greybriar

I just spotted this:

Quote....The thing that is going away is Windows live mails ability to sync calendars and contacts.  If you just use WLM for email you can make a change to it and continue to use it.

All of your email addresses will continue to work, just the way that you access them will change a bit.

There is an alternate email client like windows live mail called emclient that will work after the change if you need to sync your calendars and contacts.  You can get it here  http://www.emclient.com/....

Hope that helps.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Ian C

Quote from: Greybriar on June 18, 2016, 08:08:41 AM
I just spotted this:

Quote....The thing that is going away is Windows live mails ability to sync calendars and contacts.  If you just use WLM for email you can make a change to it and continue to use it.

All of your email addresses will continue to work, just the way that you access them will change a bit.

There is an alternate email client like windows live mail called emclient that will work after the change if you need to sync your calendars and contacts.  You can get it here  http://www.emclient.com/....

Hope that helps.

Thanks for that Greybriar. I don't sync calendars and contacts so I guess I'll stick with it as usual but try emclient out.

Boggit

Quote from: Greybriar on June 18, 2016, 08:08:41 AM
I just spotted this:

Hope that helps.
Thanks Greybriar. I just use it for email. That helps a lot. O0
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat