Skyrim on discount (Steam), plus new free DLC

Started by Tpek, February 07, 2012, 02:52:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fighting Farmer

Quote from: Arctic Blast on February 07, 2012, 08:44:38 PM
Oh, come on! I JUST finished complaining about having too many games 2 threads ago! Stupid lack of willpower...

I think I'll wait for the GOTY edition. Besides I still purchased and yet to have play Elder Scrolls III & IV, Fallout III & Las Vegas, Mass Effect I & II, Dragon Age I & II, etc...

I've got to quit sleeping, eating meals, etc.. to free up more game playing time.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Fighting Farmer on February 08, 2012, 07:00:18 PM
Oh, come on! I JUST finished complaining about having too many games 2 threads ago! Stupid lack of willpower...

I think I'll wait for the GOTY edition. Besides I still purchased and yet to have play Elder Scrolls III & IV, Fallout III & Las Vegas, Mass Effect I & II, Dragon Age I & II, etc...

I've got to quit sleeping, eating meals, etc.. to free up more game playing time.

I bought it. And I pre-ordered CK2. And I'm 6 hours in to Kingdom of Amalur.

I need help.  :o ;D

W.S. Hancock

Quote from: Gusington on February 07, 2012, 08:14:57 PM
^I respectfully disagree. I have it and love it. It's really well written and I enjoy the game more because of it. I use it as a reference.

I am with Gus on this.  I have the hardbound collectors edition Prima Guide, which also gives me a code to activate an interactive online game map as well, which has dozens of filters for quest items, skill books, trainers, etc, and invaluable and time saving resource. 

The Prima Guide is extremely well written and informative, IMHO one of the best I have seen in years -- you dont get the feeling like you do with so many others that you are simply paying for the manual you didnt get with the game because the developer was too cheap/lazy to give you a real manual.  Instead, the thing is a real strategy guide and more.

twitter3

Quote from: Arctic Blast on February 09, 2012, 01:29:21 AM

AB - How are you liking KoA?  What would you compare it to?

Arctic Blast

Quote from: twitter3 on February 09, 2012, 11:12:18 AM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on February 09, 2012, 01:29:21 AM

AB - How are you liking KoA?  What would you compare it to?

Put it this way - I'm 6 hours in, I've barely touched the main storyline, and I feel like I'm just scratching the surface. The world is enormous. You can just explore around and keep finding things : monsters to fight, chests to open, side quests everywhere. There's a full alchemy system that encourages experimentation...of course, sometimes you'll light yourself on fire. Other times, you'll discover the formula for healing potions. There's a full blacksmithing system that lets you take apart old gear for parts, create your own weapons and armor (for use or profit) and add gems to items with open slots.

Every time you level up, you'll add 1 point to a skill (Alchemy, Blacksmithing, other stuff along those lines), then 3 points to any/all of the 3 ability trees : Might, Finesse and Sorcery. Based on investment in those trees, you'll then have a chance to change your class. Classes are less permanent character types and more character adjustments that you might find yourself changing every single time you level up.

I personally like the combat, but it's very action oriented, and you'll unlock new moves and special abilities as you play. If you don't like actively rolling past enemies and hitting a backslash before leaping away and trying for a shield parry, you won't like this game. As you fight, you slowly build up your rage meter. Eventually, you can enter a bizarre alternate realm where you're moving very quickly through a sort of spirit plain as you smash on bad guys, with the chance to finish one in brutal fashion for bonus XP.

It isn't perfect by any means. As I mentioned, you won't like it if action oriented combat bothers you. Some of the writing is fairly lame. Some of the quests suck. But overall, I'm enjoying it so far. And even with all the character customization, it doesn't sound like you can 'break' your character build (which is one of the lamest 'features' of old school RPG's, at least in my opinion).

Download the demo and give it a play for a few hours if you're interested.

LongBlade

For some reason Origin didn't work when I installed it. I guess I'll have to fix it and give it a shot.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.