Main Menu

Shogun 2 Sieges

Started by Gusington, February 07, 2012, 09:52:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

Hey all...just started playing Shogun 2 yesterday.

I've played through all the tutorials, including the siege tutorial twice. The siege tutorial is the only one I can't complete successfully. For some reason I just can't wrap my brain around some of the new features the way the game wants me to. Any suggestions for successfully besieging castles in Shogun 2?

As an aside I really like what I am seeing so far. It feels as if CA genuinely returned to their roots in Shogun 2.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Sieges are pretty tough as castles have garrison troops to protect them in addition to any regular troops stationed there. As they upgrade, the garrison troops get larger and better. Playing defense in a siege battle you can easily defeat a much larger AI army. Almost all of your attacking troops can scale castle walls even archers and some cavalry can dismount as well. Keep your leader close to keep your trops from losing their nerve but don't let him get killed. Use archers to hit their leader and chase back defending troops away from the walls. Try to get the defender to use up all their ammo if you can. Most troops can break-in the gates so run some over after the defender has set his men and if he leaves one unguarded. Try scaling the walls at angles to get more than one unit assaulting a defending unit. Watch the defender sallying out of his gates to attack you. If you can rout them back inside, you can follow them in. Siege weapons help alot as does a great big army. An agent can damage or destroy a gate proir to your assault also. Banzai.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Just spam them with archers.  The defensive AI during seiges is kinda dumb.  As long as they don't have too many towers, it's pretty easy to whittle them down with your archers and then scale the walls and polish them off.

Gusington

Hmm...in the tutorial my army is pretty effing awesome. Thing is when I get near the walls with my archers, the enemy archers and towers make quick work of mine. And climbing the walls feels weird. Should I just try to overwhelm them? Also the tutorial castle is big and kinda pretty and I usually just end up staring at it like a fool staring at a ferris wheel.

So I guess there are a lot of factors aligning here to make me feel like a ninny. That said I LOVE the naval part of the game. IMHO it's a lot more exciting than the Age of Sail battles from ETW and NTW. Love the ship selections and combat options and it was actually easy for me to grasp.

I'll try the siege tutorial once more...it's the last one I have to 'finish' and my OCD won't let me start a campaign til I do!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Gusington on February 07, 2012, 09:52:23 PM
Hey all...just started playing Shogun 2 yesterday.

I've played through all the tutorials, including the siege tutorial twice. The siege tutorial is the only one I can't complete successfully. For some reason I just can't wrap my brain around some of the new features the way the game wants me to. Any suggestions for successfully besieging castles in Shogun 2?

As an aside I really like what I am seeing so far. It feels as if CA genuinely returned to their roots in Shogun 2.

I had the same problem.  Eventually I got close enough to a victory (never did beat it though) that I just gave up and dove into the game.  But then again in game I general don't do sieges I wait and starve the garrison out so it comes to meet me on the field of battle.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Gusington on February 07, 2012, 10:37:01 PM
Hmm...in the tutorial my army is pretty effing awesome. Thing is when I get near the walls with my archers, the enemy archers and towers make quick work of mine. And climbing the walls feels weird. Should I just try to overwhelm them? Also the tutorial castle is big and kinda pretty and I usually just end up staring at it like a fool staring at a ferris wheel.

So I guess there are a lot of factors aligning here to make me feel like a ninny. That said I LOVE the naval part of the game. IMHO it's a lot more exciting than the Age of Sail battles from ETW and NTW. Love the ship selections and combat options and it was actually easy for me to grasp.

I'll try the siege tutorial once more...it's the last one I have to 'finish' and my OCD won't let me start a campaign til I do!

Try to mass your archers and pick a corner so that the AI can't effectively use all their archers against you.  If the towers are doing too much damage, get closer to the wall so that you can't be hit.  If you're sieging a large castle, use a large portion of your infantry to fix the defenders to one portion of the castle, then send a smaller force to scale the walls somewhere else and make a run for the capture point.  You only have to hold it for a minute to win the siege.

Gusington

Thanks guys. I was thinking also that the tutorial itself is labeled 'advanced' which I am obviously not. So once I start a campaign I will initially deal with easier sieges and get some practice before getting my arse diced Ginsu style again. I'll try one more time and then just jump in :)

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

THe naval battles actually got kind of old quickly for me. The ships turn and excellerate too fast I thought and until you get flaming arrows, there's not alot different you can do except boarding. The battle AI is pretty good and will surprise you, backing onto high ground and then when you close, suddenly charge at you. One good feature is the quick-save before a battle. I use it alot. In the campaign watch your food production. Alot of buildings increase food useage and if you run short, disorder spreads quickly. And grab those trade ports and hang onto them.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

^I do like the new mine laying feature.

I put down a nice screen of mines last night in the tutorial, split my force in two and then drove the enemy straight into the mine field. Loved it! And it looked as if the enemy AI tried to figure a way out of it but there were islands on either side. I had them bottled up!

For some reason I find S2's tactical naval bit a lot more satisfying than anything that has come before in the series. Maybe its because I know nothing about 16th century Japanese naval capability, so everything seems awesome :)

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Gusington on February 08, 2012, 10:42:09 AM
^I do like the new mine laying feature.

I put down a nice screen of mines last night in the tutorial, split my force in two and then drove the enemy straight into the mine field. Loved it! And it looked as if the enemy AI tried to figure a way out of it but there were islands on either side. I had them bottled up!

For some reason I find S2's tactical naval bit a lot more satisfying than anything that has come before in the series. Maybe its because I know nothing about 16th century Japanese naval capability, so everything seems awesome :)

I feel the same way about the naval combat it is much more satisfying then ETW.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Gusington

^Totally. Albeit may be more interesting for me out of ignorance of the subject matter ;)

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Bison

I was honestly pretty "meh" about the naval combat after the 3d or 4th battle.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

jomni

Did't bother finishing the tutorial on this.  In the campaign, just make sure you conduct a siege with overwhelming strength an proper force mix.

Gusington

^That's the way I was going to go after one more stab at it.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd