Digital Gaming > Computer Gaming

Shogun 2 Sieges

(1/3) > >>

Gusington:
Hey all...just started playing Shogun 2 yesterday.

I've played through all the tutorials, including the siege tutorial twice. The siege tutorial is the only one I can't complete successfully. For some reason I just can't wrap my brain around some of the new features the way the game wants me to. Any suggestions for successfully besieging castles in Shogun 2?

As an aside I really like what I am seeing so far. It feels as if CA genuinely returned to their roots in Shogun 2.

Sir Slash:
Sieges are pretty tough as castles have garrison troops to protect them in addition to any regular troops stationed there. As they upgrade, the garrison troops get larger and better. Playing defense in a siege battle you can easily defeat a much larger AI army. Almost all of your attacking troops can scale castle walls even archers and some cavalry can dismount as well. Keep your leader close to keep your trops from losing their nerve but don't let him get killed. Use archers to hit their leader and chase back defending troops away from the walls. Try to get the defender to use up all their ammo if you can. Most troops can break-in the gates so run some over after the defender has set his men and if he leaves one unguarded. Try scaling the walls at angles to get more than one unit assaulting a defending unit. Watch the defender sallying out of his gates to attack you. If you can rout them back inside, you can follow them in. Siege weapons help alot as does a great big army. An agent can damage or destroy a gate proir to your assault also. Banzai.

Silent Disapproval Robot:
Just spam them with archers.  The defensive AI during seiges is kinda dumb.  As long as they don't have too many towers, it's pretty easy to whittle them down with your archers and then scale the walls and polish them off.

Gusington:
Hmm...in the tutorial my army is pretty effing awesome. Thing is when I get near the walls with my archers, the enemy archers and towers make quick work of mine. And climbing the walls feels weird. Should I just try to overwhelm them? Also the tutorial castle is big and kinda pretty and I usually just end up staring at it like a fool staring at a ferris wheel.

So I guess there are a lot of factors aligning here to make me feel like a ninny. That said I LOVE the naval part of the game. IMHO it's a lot more exciting than the Age of Sail battles from ETW and NTW. Love the ship selections and combat options and it was actually easy for me to grasp.

I'll try the siege tutorial once more...it's the last one I have to 'finish' and my OCD won't let me start a campaign til I do!

TheCommandTent:

--- Quote from: Gusington on February 07, 2012, 07:52:23 PM ---Hey all...just started playing Shogun 2 yesterday.

I've played through all the tutorials, including the siege tutorial twice. The siege tutorial is the only one I can't complete successfully. For some reason I just can't wrap my brain around some of the new features the way the game wants me to. Any suggestions for successfully besieging castles in Shogun 2?

As an aside I really like what I am seeing so far. It feels as if CA genuinely returned to their roots in Shogun 2.

--- End quote ---

I had the same problem.  Eventually I got close enough to a victory (never did beat it though) that I just gave up and dove into the game.  But then again in game I general don't do sieges I wait and starve the garrison out so it comes to meet me on the field of battle.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version