Graphic card overheating

Started by Phantom, March 04, 2017, 12:21:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phantom

I normally play wargames & flight sims/FPS's without graphics issues, but recently got tabletop simulator which I guess is relatively graphics intensive. I have an Nvidia GT220 which handles the graphics OK when playing TS but overheats (105 centigrade) & sometime cuts out as a result.
Would upgrading the card stop this or is it a pure cooling issue?
Its is a reasonably large Dell Studio XPS PC case, intel i7, 8gb RAM.

Thanks for any advise anyone's able to offer.

Regards
Phantom

Capn Darwin

What is the FPS during the game? Some game code can basically have a run away frame rate that can cook a card. If you have a control panel with game specific settings, try capping the frame rate at 30 to 60 FPS and see if that takes care of the temp rise.
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

Phantom

Thanks Capn, that seems to have helped - still running quite hot but about 10 - 15 C below what it was.

Regards
Phantom

jamus34

I would also try opening up the case (once the PC is off) and using compressed air try to blow out all of the dust bunnies. Hold any fans so they don't spin when directing air directly on them.

Also, try to find software that lets you manually set the fan speed. Try to run it at 85-90% and see if that helps...although with most VC's it will sound like a hairdryer at that point.
Insert witty comment here.

Phantom

Thanks Jamus - I'd already taken the vacuum cleaner to the fans & grilles, I think that also helped as the dust does accumulate quire quickly.