Main Menu

Smart Phones

Started by Jarhead0331, June 21, 2012, 04:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

So I'm really...really...fed up with my blackberry.  I've had nothing but problems with the latest Bold.  The damn thing reboots when it wants to and I consistently have connectivity problems with telenav at the most inopportune times...I've had a blackberry in one form or another for at least the last ten years.  I've stubbornly held onto them because I'm reliant on the keypad for shooting off rapid fire emails to clients. But, I think I'm ready to move on...

So here is the thing...I'm pretty sure I do not want an iphone.  They're cool, but apple annoys me how they always have to do something different.  Even if its not as user friendly, if its different, they'll do it anyway. I'm leaning more towards something in the Android category.  Does anybody have any recommendations?  Good experiences? Negative experiences? I'm a foolish for not seriously considering the iphone?

I need it mostly for work, ie. email, phone, typing and viewing documents, web browsing, etc., but I would also like it for playing music, watching videos, playing games, neat apps., camera, etc.  My carrier is AT&T. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

LongBlade

I have an HTC Desire, Android based OS, on AT&T.

I have liked it, though after a year and a half I'm noticing it's sucking down battery life more than I'd like. I had to replace the charger cord, too, as that was failing on me.

Other than that, I like the Android OS.

For my next phone I hear that a Samsung Galaxy III is about to be released, and I've got my eye on that or a Samsung Note (the big one). Having had an iPhone, I have to say that an Android is much freer. I doubt I'll go back to a Iphone again unless something revolutionary happens with them. My kids both have iPhones so I know what they do and how they work. Gotta say, Android FTW.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Windigo

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 21, 2012, 04:17:30 PM
So I'm really...really...fed up with my blackberry.  I've had nothing but problems with the latest Bold.  The damn thing reboots when it wants to and I consistently have connectivity problems with telenav at the most inopportune times...I've had a blackberry in one form or another for at least the last ten years.  I've stubbornly held onto them because I'm reliant on the keypad for shooting off rapid fire emails to clients. But, I think I'm ready to move on...

So here is the thing...I'm pretty sure I do not want an iphone.  They're cool, but apple annoys me how they always have to do something different.  Even if its not as user friendly, if its different, they'll do it anyway. I'm leaning more towards something in the Android category.  Does anybody have any recommendations?  Good experiences? Negative experiences? I'm a foolish for not seriously considering the iphone?

I need it mostly for work, ie. email, phone, typing and viewing documents, web browsing, etc., but I would also like it for playing music, watching videos, playing games, neat apps., camera, etc.  My carrier is AT&T.

Sounds like you need a computing pad and a cell phone because a keypad less smart phone is not going to be a great typing surface
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Mr. Bigglesworth

A Kindle or Nook with USB keyboard? I have a rollup waterproof keyboard, Im not thinking of a full size regular one.
The kindle fire is attractive to me.

Or just replace the defective Bold with another.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Mr. Bigglesworth

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

0kult13

Lol sounds familair, i too greatly dislike apple and just got rid off my blackberry curve in favour of a samsung ace plus. At the cheaper end of the current range but, yeah much much better than the bb in every respect. My mrs has also changed from bb to samsung within a week of me getting mine and shes never off the thing. Samsung is the growing power in the smart phone world imho. I know someone who just got the note, and for what your talking about could be just the ticket. Also theres a growing number of droid wargames. I would recomend the fantastic small general,neruoshima hex and dominion (yeah not a wargame but it rocks) theres also a series featured on here eastern front but still to play that. 

MikeGER

Jarhead, i have a Samsung Galaxy S II  since a year or so  and i love it ... i even don't plan to 'upgrade' to the just released more powerfull S III (the screen is slightly bigger and has a 'nominal' better resolution, but it will be darker and that is bad in a usual lighten environment... btw: no display works outdoors when exposed into the bright sun, displays all has to be in the shadow, or you see mostly your mirror image on any phone, tab, lap, etc. )     

S III: 4,8", 1280x720 Super-AMOLED-HD, PenTile (= sub pixel),  luminance  max  235  min 19   [cd/m^2]
S  II: 4,3",    800x400 Super-AMOLED Plus ("+" = no subpixel!),  luminance  max  371  min 48   [cd/m^2]

Apple is out of the consideration, they don't have:
- a bigger display (its 3,5″)
- a slot for a 32 GB microSD card
- user replaceable battery
- easy USB access (there are workarounds)

i have kind of bad eyes and was sceptical about those 'virtual keyboard' too -was first looking for a cellular with slide out keyboard-  ...but now i am very happy with the touchscreen... (and you can hookup one of those folding Bluetooth-keyboards if you really feel the need)   

(in addition to my cellular i plan to get a Tab for a bigger screen websurfing and video streamed from my sat-receiver / NAS over WLan into the garden in the future ... i am already doing that with my GalaxySII... i also stream indoors to the Galaxy when i sit on the treadmill
i am waiting for a 'Samsung Tab' which will be the opponent to the iPad3 ...probably the rumored Galaxy Tab 11.6 ... but i first have to see that in a store F2F before)

bayonetbrant

I have a Stratosphere and I love it.
It's not the top-of-the-line fully-tech'ed-out über-computer-in-your-hand.

But it is a solid phone, a large touchscreen (4"), a slide-out qwerty keyboard w/ separate number keys (not all phones have these), and a battery that charges in about 40 minutes (when plugged into a wall).

It's a Galaxy-S series phone, but not 100% sure which (I or II) and to be honest, I can't even tell you exactly what that does for you.

Some of the things I really like are found on a lot of Android phones - the voice recognition (especially for texting), the ease of killing tasks if you need the processor, the widgets available for the home screens - so you'll get some of those regardless.

It *does* have a front-facing camera, but the wife and I have yet to get the video-chat to work, mainly b/c we haven't needed to.  But's it fully capable of doing it.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers