Looking to wirelessly bridge subwoofer to soundbar...

Started by JasonPratt, December 05, 2017, 01:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

My brother's living room has been declared (by the wife) to be a speaker-minimum zone, so to punch up his sound he has been trying to use a soundbar. One that has failed him (my guess is from being left on constantly), and now a new one is needed.

I came down to a last-gen LG bar with a separate subwooder, and a... um, some other brand I've forgotten (it's Yamaha I think) that has subwoofers built in, but you know those aren't always the best solution (especially since it's only pushing 120 watts compared to the 300+ watts of the LG I was looking at.) In fact, the only reason I got the Yamaotherhuh (whatever it is) was due to some reviews of occasional quality-control problems on the LG, which I figured was likely to be even more of a concern if I was buying from 2015 remnants!

Moreover, the bar I did get seems to agree that its subwoofers might be worth not-much, since it explicitly includes an output jack for a subwoofer!

And my parents are looking for something to buy him that they know he doesn't have, and would want, which wouldn't be hideously expensive, and a nice 8" Yamaha subwoofer for around $100 would check those boxes.

Now comes the problem: minimal wiring. The wife, quite correctly, doesn't want extra wiring cluttering up her decorative fireplace wall area. The LG, notably, had a wireless subwoofer. But decent wireless subwoofers start at $250 and go up really far really fast.

The solution would be a wireless bridge, with a transmitter sending subwoofer-audio from the jack in the bar, to a receiving jack in the subwoofer. Ideally, these things would be powered by the bar and woofer themselves. (A power cord for the woofer would be more concealable than wiring coming down from the bar to the woofer.)

However, my research on Amazon has run into a tactical problem: the topical focus appears to be solely focused on broadcasting wirelessly from one's phone or whatever to speakers. But that isn't at all what I'm looking for. Bluetooth, probably, yes, but a broadcaster and receiver pair.

Solution thoughts appreciated. Puns also appreciated.  :coolsmiley:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Barthheart

First... why not use the subwood(f)er that comes with the LG bar?

QuoteI came down to a last-gen LG bar with a separate subwooder, ....

undercovergeek

Pack a case and put the wife outside

No speakers and no wires?

Shut up and cook

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JasonPratt

Quote from: Barthheart on December 05, 2017, 01:21:20 PM
First... why not use the subwood(f)er that comes with the LG bar?

QuoteI came down to a last-gen LG bar with a separate subwooder, ....

I'm compensating for a small keyboard. ;)

Actual answer: because I didn't buy the LG bar, due to concerns about spotty quality control, magnified by the seeming probability of running into more such problems while buying from leftover 2015 stock.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

jamus34

Have him by an in wall subwoofer.

My father is in a similar situation with the living room. Parents love watching movies, mother does not want ugly speaks / wires "cluttering" the area.

He has a crawl space under the house I told him to just run it there.
Insert witty comment here.