Back-up rig took a dump

Started by Jarhead0331, February 26, 2018, 09:50:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Welp, my back-up pc finally took a dump...I'm pretty sure it's dead. The thing will boot, and then I get a quick windows error blue screen followed by another reboot and a message that windows is starting auto repair followed by a black screen.

This pc has been through a lot with me and although a pretty solid i7 system in its own right, it's been relegated mostly to use by my daughter who likes watching kids YouTube videos on it. I also used it to install some steam games that I would then stream through my main system.

I'll probably start shopping for a replacement, but I'm not into a rush.  Don't really see any great deals on Newegg. Anyplace else I should be looking for good deals?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Staggerwing

Could be just a corrupted Windows install, a bad stick of RAM, or a Video card gone FARBOT. Pull each stick one at a time and try rebooting in between. Also, try pulling the GFX card and running on the onboard video. After that, try to reinstall Windows, using a different HDD/SSD just to rule that out as well. It'd be a shame to toss an otherwise good rig for one bad component that can be replaced.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Jarhead0331

Thanks. I think I can rule out the gfx card. I've tried booting with a 970 and a 980...same issue with both. I'll definitely check the ram. Will be hard to reinstall windows as everything is OEM these days with no disks.  Thanks for the tips.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

If you need to, Tiger Direct still has some good deals on parts, etc. and the occasional good complete build.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 26, 2018, 10:14:56 PM
Will be hard to reinstall windows as everything is OEM these days with no disks.

Microsoft offer a download on their website if you plug in your license key.  It should be easy to make a USB boot disk from it.

MikeGER

Do you get into BIOS , there you can check on Voltages and if your disks get found...

my bet is on a corrupted Windows (and that maybe caused by a file not found/readable anymore from the HDD)

also there was a discussion here about an automated windows update that caused problems for some people       

JudgeDredd

Hi JH

What OS is it? My daughters laptop has been suffering this same issue for a month or more (cycle reboot, blue screen, recover, rinse, repeat) and it's a Win 10 thing I'm sure...

If it is Win10 - I'm afraid I haven't found a solution yet and was looking to reformat and rebuild.
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

I haven't been able to get into bios. I'll keep trying that. I'm pressing all the function keys like a madman though.

Believe it or.not I'm not 100% sure it's running win10. I have my doubts because I recall the desktop mode looking different than the one on my main rig, which I of course know is win10. However, I am certain I recently ran a windows update, which makes me nervous based on what you guys are saying about a fatal problem with a recent update.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

OJsDad

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 26, 2018, 09:50:01 PM
Anyplace else I should be looking for good deals?

I like Micro Center.  Looks like they have a four stores in NYC area.  The one in Columbus has a good selection of PC and laptops in store, along with all of the parts you may need to build a new PC.  If nothing else, it might be fun to just go and check everything out.  Puts any Best Buy that I've ever been too to shame

http://www.microcenter.com/
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Jarhead0331

I've bought from them before. There is a store not far from where I live.

I'm looking at this for $1299. Not a top of the line system, but a steal at that price I think. Note, its got Win10 PRO, not Home:

Intel Core i7 7th Gen 7700 (3.60 GHz) 16 GB DDR4 2 TB HDD 256 GB SSD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit.

Thoughts?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JudgeDredd

Seems a reasonable price.

I'd be tempted with a bigger (or second) SSD
Alba gu' brath

OJsDad

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 27, 2018, 09:58:24 AM
I've bought from them before. There is a store not far from where I live.

I'm looking at this for $1299. Not a top of the line system, but a steal at that price I think. Note, its got Win10 PRO, not Home:

Intel Core i7 7th Gen 7700 (3.60 GHz) 16 GB DDR4 2 TB HDD 256 GB SSD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit.

Thoughts?

If this is primarily for your daughter top watch videos and some gaming for you and her, then I don't think you'll need to upgrade it until she starts dating.

As JD said, you may want to add a larger SSD. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.