Main Menu

HOTAS

Started by bob48, March 08, 2018, 03:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob48

So, it looks like my old trusty Saitek X45 combo has finally expired. The question now is, do I go Saitek again or look at Thrustmaster, or, are there maybe other viable alternatives?
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

DoctorQuest

My CH products set is still working fine after years of use. They weren't cheap but I feel it was worth the money. I don't remember exactly when I bought them but I am pretty sure I was running XP at the time.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Huw the Poo

Bob if I had a joystick as massive as yours I wouldn't be complaining.

DoctorQuest

Yeah. But if it's not working what's the point?

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

bob48

Mind you, its all pretty academic at present, since I can't actually afford a new one.

In point of fact, it does still work OK for FSX, but its no longer supported by Saitek and thus there are no new drivers for it. Where I have an issue with it is in Elite and Windows 10 where, for some reason, the OS does not always recognise that its connected and will then loose all the settings, which is a pain in the bum. As it is, Elite seems to have an overly complicated set-up system anyway.

'Clip those corners'

DoctorQuest

Windows 10 is evil incarnate. We are doomed.

bob48

You could well be right.

'Clip those corners'

bbmike

Quote from: bob48 on March 08, 2018, 04:54:50 PM
You could well be right.

"Mom! Dad! It's evil! Don't touch it!"
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Staggerwing

Quote from: bbmike on March 08, 2018, 05:52:23 PM
Quote from: bob48 on March 08, 2018, 04:54:50 PM
You could well be right.

"Mom! Dad! It's evil! Don't touch it!"

(One of my favorite movies!)
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bob48

OK, you tech-heads;

This 'ol X45 of mine works fine in FSX and Win 10 device manager picks it up no worries. It used to work with Elite until my HD gave up and I fitted an new one, maybe a year or so ago. I reinstalled Elite although I did not play it much, and since then there have been a cart-load of updates to both Win10 and Elite and now I have this problem.

Elite now does not recognise the X45, just 'generic joystick' and, delving into the controller folder, I can see a list of supported controller, such as the X52, but no X45. In addition, Saitek no longer support the X45 with new drivers for Win 10.

And so, my question - is there a workaround to solve this, or am I faced with the prospect of replacing the X45?

'Clip those corners'

bob48

I seem to have narrowed the choice down to either a Saitek X52 or Thrustmaster T.16000M.

'Clip those corners'

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bob48

Any reason?

Its not a bad price, and I do like the rocker on the rear of the throttle for rudder control; I'm used to that because my X45 has it. I'm just not over keen on how it looks - its appears very plastic.

'Clip those corners'

mirth

I just like typing Thrustmaster.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus