I'm finally convinced...

Started by Jarhead0331, March 10, 2018, 08:56:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Jarhead0331

Backup drive? I have two HDs in the system. An SSD with the OS and SATA with 2TB. I can't boot from the SATA, right?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Huw the Poo

No files would have been hidden from Ubuntu.  If it isn't there, it isn't there - at least, not where you're looking.  Are you 100% positive this file is the source of the error?  Can you post a photo of the screen that says it is?

Jarhead0331

I'm not 100% sure of anything to be honest. I'm running a system restore now. We'll see what happens.

For full disclosure, something was really wrong yesterday. The SSD was running at 100% activity so everything else was just chugging along. As a possible solution I ran CCleaner and cleaned the registry...obviously, it didn't help.   :-[
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Huw the Poo

Hmm...it is starting to sound more like a virus now then, I'm afraid.  You're going to have to start thinking about restore options if the Windows system restore doesn't help.  I'll keep looking but everything I've seen points to WRkrn.sys being found only in that drivers directory.

Staggerwing

If it's a virus then it could be seeding itself from either HD. You'll want to redo both if possible. IIRC, Steam has some kind of cloud savegame option so you may be able to get your saved games back after reinstalling Steam. Not sure about other games/platforms such as Elite,  RoF, and DCS though.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

I'm pretty sure GOG Galaxy has cloud saves too. Beyond that, purge everything with purifying fire. How does a machine come down with such an ornery beast of a virus? I've never heard of anything like this. I'm afraid.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Huw the Poo

It will be almost impossible to trace where he picked it up (if it even is a virus that's caused the problem), but it's been a long-established practise for viruses and other malware to carry a component that attacks antivirus products it detects.

Unfortunately, malware these days is so advanced that if you get infected, the general advice is to reformat. :/

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

I'm not convinced this is a virus. Looking around, issues with WRkrn.sys are common. JH, it's possible you aren't looking in the right location for the file. Before you nuke the drive, I'd try to get someone else to look at it for you. Or try contacting Webroot support - https://www.webrootanywhere.com/servicewelcome.asp
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Jarhead0331

Thanks. I've done both, but it's Sunday and all, so not expecting to hear anything until tomorrow at earliest. I actually left the state to get as far away from the computer as possible, otherwise, it would drive me crazy. LoL.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Huw the Poo

Quote from: mirth on March 11, 2018, 12:19:53 PM
I'm not convinced this is a virus. Looking around, issues with WRkrn.sys are common.

Correct, but in every issue I found the user had the file on their disk.  Jarhead says he can't see it on his.  So unless he wasn't looking in the right place (you did look in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\ right Jarhead? Because you omitted the drivers directory when you reported back) I think a fresh copy of that file has a good chance of fixing the problem.

All the public posts by Webroot support I've seen have involved reinstalling the software, which Jarhead obviously can't do.

mirth

Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 11, 2018, 02:56:50 PM
Quote from: mirth on March 11, 2018, 12:19:53 PM
I'm not convinced this is a virus. Looking around, issues with WRkrn.sys are common.

Correct, but in every issue I found the user had the file on their disk.  Jarhead says he can't see it on his.  So unless he wasn't looking in the right place (you did look in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\ right Jarhead? Because you omitted the drivers directory when you reported back) I think a fresh copy of that file has a good chance of fixing the problem.

All the public posts by Webroot support I've seen have involved reinstalling the software, which Jarhead obviously can't do.

I understand all that, but I'd look for some additional help before I wiped the drive.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Jarhead0331

It's a moot point because so far I've been unable to format, restore or reset the computer. All efforts at doing so have failed. I'm starting to think that maybe the hard drive is just dying.

I definitely looked for the file in the correct place. Totally not there. So bizarre.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

Perhaps the issue is PURE EVIL.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd