Steam Missing File Privileges

Started by BanzaiCat, June 24, 2018, 01:57:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

I bought the Civ IV pack in the Steam Summer Sale today; it included a copy of the updated version of Civilization IV: Colonization, and I have been wanting to give it a try.

I also bought Halycon 6.

The Civ IV pack includes Civ IV, two Civ IV expansions, and the upgraded Colonization. All three of the former installed without a problem. Colonization, the one game I want to really try, of course refuses to run. It keeps giving me an error stating "An error occurred while installing Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Colonization (missing file privileges)."

I've already gone through the Steam Support site and tried everything (clear cache, restart Steam, restart computer, etc. etc.) and nothing is working - the game just simply will not download at all. Meanwhile everything else did download and install without a problem. Figures the one damn game out of that pack that I want to play has to be the one that will not work.  :-\

Steam and Google aren't providing answers so I was hoping one of you Grogs might have run across this issue before, maybe not necessarily with Colonization. Anyone?

Huw the Poo

Is this after downloading but before installing?  My first thought would be to run Steam as admin, then try again.  My Windows days are long behind me so I'm not sure what else to try.

That said, I did find shitloads of suggestions.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Huw the Poo on June 24, 2018, 02:20:16 PM
Is this after downloading but before installing?  My first thought would be to run Steam as admin, then try again.  My Windows days are long behind me so I'm not sure what else to try.

That said, I did find shitloads of suggestions.

Before installation. Actually, technically, it's during. About 0.5 seconds after clicking 'download' it hits me with the error.

Strangely, it calls out a specific MP3 file within the installation folders. No idea what that shite is all about. I reached out to Steam Support to see if they had any answers. Thanks, Huw, I've seen all those suggestions and tried 'em to no avail unfortunately.

Could be too that it's just this laptop; I'm using one of my two work laptops. It might work at home but I'd hate to wait a few more weeks before finding out.

Huw the Poo

Ah, in that case try one of the suggestions found in that search - something about deleting the Steam folder called "downloading" or something.  Presumably that will reset the download queue completely and, with luck, it will download properly next time.

Pete Dero

Quote from: Huw the Poo on June 24, 2018, 03:17:48 PM
Ah, in that case try one of the suggestions found in that search - something about deleting the Steam folder called "downloading" or something.  Presumably that will reset the download queue completely and, with luck, it will download properly next time.

Before deleting a folder you could go in to steam settings - downloads and delete the download cache.
Make sure you have your log-in data because this will restart steam and require you to log-in again.

bbmike

And also ask at the Civfanatics forums for help. And if you do get Civ4:Colonization running I highly recommend The Authentic Colonization (TAC) mod and/or the Religion and Revolution mod. The TAC mod will give a closer to the original game experience and the RR mod will add a ton of new stuff.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Huw the Poo on June 24, 2018, 03:17:48 PM

Tried already, but no joy. :(

Quote from: Pete Dero on June 24, 2018, 03:47:06 PM
Before deleting a folder you could go in to steam settings - downloads and delete the download cache.

Tried that also already, and also no joy. :( :(

Quote from: bbmike on June 24, 2018, 06:07:10 PM
And also ask at the Civfanatics forums for help. And if you do get Civ4:Colonization running I highly recommend The Authentic Colonization (TAC) mod and/or the Religion and Revolution mod. The TAC mod will give a closer to the original game experience and the RR mod will add a ton of new stuff.

Yep, fully intend to try that TAC mod; I've heard a lot of good things about it.

This is disappointing, but I guess it happens.

Like I said, it always calls out the same MP3 file (Miffin'sGd.March.mp3) each time it gives me the missing file privileges error.

I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling Steam. Their help desk got back to me and suggested I do that - of course it didn't work.

Wish there was a way I could download it as a ZIP or something but I doubt Steam will do anything like that.

bbmike

Just looked for that file in the Civ4 Colonization folder under Steam. It's not even there.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Quote from: bbmike on June 24, 2018, 06:19:51 PM
Just looked for that file in the Civ4 Colonization folder under Steam. It's not even there.

Really not? For the new version of the game? That's really odd.

I had to explain to the Steam Support person that answered me about that file. I have a feeling there's an issue with it but can't understand why it's just affecting my PC.

Since it's stuck downloading, it's in a Downloading folder (Program Files(x86) > Steam > steamapps > downloads > 16810 > Assets > Sounds > Soundtrack

The file just before it (MeinHerzInHohenFreudenIst) is the last item in the list. All the MP3s in that folder start with 6ViolinSonatasPandolfiMealli and go through MeinHerzInHohenFreudenIst, so it's basically A-M and then nothing. That one damn file is holding everything up. I must know why.

bbmike

I can't find it. I was gonna send it to you.  ???
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

BanzaiCat

I appreciate the thought, bbmike. Maybe Steam Support will come up with something.  :2funny:

steve58

BC -- I just installed (reinstalled) Colonization and I can see the Mifflin'sGd.March.mp3 file under C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Civilization IV Colonization\Assets\Sounds\Soundtrack.  I can send it to you if you'd like.

Also, just curious what version Windows you running?  I've got Windows 7.  WOnder if its a Windows 10 issue?
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

BanzaiCat

Hi Steve - that would be awesome if you don't mind sending it. I've no idea if it will do anything but it's worth a shot.

It's a Windows 10 laptop so that might be the issue. I'm loath to request a refund as it might very well work fine on my PC at home (which is 7).

I'll PM you my email in a moment; thanks again.

bbmike

It works for me on Windows 10, both desktop and laptop.
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak