Valve not happy with Windows 8

Started by Shelldrake, July 26, 2012, 10:39:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shelldrake

According to Gabe Newell of Valve Software Windows 8 will be a disaster for PC gamers. Oh joy!  >:(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18996377
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

undercovergeek

150,000 making virtual hats - WTF  ??? :o

why arent i making virtual hats?????

oh and.............. ****, sounds like a problem from steam

Barthheart

Yeah reading that article it sounds more like sour grapes from Steam than anything concretely wrong with Windows 8.

Quote"Windows 8 is a catastrophe for everyone in the PC space."

The only "catastrophe" I can read from the article is that MS will have a store front much like Steam's and Steam mybe lose some dollars to it....

LongBlade

Barth, that's a good observation, but he does add this:

Quote"There's a strong temptation to close the platform," he said, "because they look at what they can accomplish when they limit the competitors' access to the platform, and they say, 'That's really exciting.'"

If MS starts closing off competitors, they run a real risk of making themselves into exactly what Apple did 30 years ago - a limited choice platform.

The free market, if left to its own devices, will overcome any closed system. It's one of the reasons why Windows eclipsed Apple, and there is a good chance that if MS botches this, platforms like Linux will fill the void.

Consider this: would a PC manufacturer rather produce a computer and pay MS for the OS, or would they prefer to make said computer with a free OS like Linux? I'm not sure MS is making the brilliant move they think they are. Gaming drove PC sales for a long time. It would be a shame for MS if their greed cut them out of that growth in the future.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Barthheart

Yeah, I agree if MS goes closed box like Apple then they're screwed. The back lash alone could kill them. Apple survived because is was hip to be on something that wasn't MS run, but since most people hate MS anyway... Linux would become the big winner....

I'd hope that whom ever is steering the ship at MS (is it still Bill?) is not being short sighted like you say and cutting their nose off to spite their face..... :P

Bison

junk2drive