Main Menu

My possible new PC ?

Started by CJReich46, December 11, 2018, 05:34:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CJReich46

I work in retail, (yay) and we have a PC that we got in for our Black Friday last year.

It's a Dell Inspiron Desktop Tower.

CPU:Ryzen 5 1400
GPU:Radeon  RX 570 4GB
RAM:8 GB Ram DDR4 (up to 32GB)
STORAGE: 1 TB HD

We had it for over a year no one's bought it, and it was originally 799.99 it's now  479.93

Now I have been eyeing this one for some time. In a discussion with a co-worker I asked why it never moved. He thought it had to do with it has 8GB ram. But it can be upped to 32GB.

So what do you think?  Or should I build my own? I have been stuck for some time trying to figure out what I require PC wise, mostly I am trying to stay within a budget.

Suggestions and or feedback appreciated.
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Jarhead0331

I'm not sure I would jump on that dude...for just a couple hundred more you can get a much more capable system with greater longevity. The storage is weak, the RAM is weak, the processor is on the low end of the common list and the GFX card is mid-range at best. I'm assuming some of the other basics like power supply, etc. are lower end too.

If you just want a mid-range system to replace an existing one, sort of like a lateral move to a fresh machine, then maybe you'll be happy. However, if you're looking for a real upgrade, or something that will run high-end games, this isn't the system.

Sorry to be negative, bro.   :-[
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

CJReich46

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 11, 2018, 05:46:19 PM
I'm not sure I would jump on that dude...for just a couple hundred more you can get a much more capable system with greater longevity. The storage is weak, the RAM is weak, the processor is on the low end of the common list and the GFX card is mid-range at best. I'm assuming some of the other basics like power supply, etc. are lower end too.

If you just want a mid-range system to replace an existing one, sort of like a lateral move to a fresh machine, then maybe you'll be happy. However, if you're looking for a real upgrade, or something that will run high-end games, this isn't the system.

Sorry to be negative, bro.   :-[

Not being negative at all. JH, I appreciate the input.  My problem is my PC is approaching 10 years old. I got it in 2008 - discrete GPU was installed in 2012 and CPU was replaced in 2013. Every thing PSU, Board, RAM (DDR2 btw) and HD are all original. Goes to show how durable this dinosaur is.

See I don't know how to spec it, and most of my gaming choices are more Strategy, RPG, indie stuff too.  I don't do FP shooters (so no Fortnite) just not my thing.  If I had to pick what I'm trying to run this for it would be maybe (?) I know what I get it is going to be light-speed compared to my current machine.  Budget wise I'm trying to keep it under 800.00 realistically.

Stellaris  (My current PC handles it, but there's of course some parts where it's gonna suffer)
Mount and Blade Bannerlord (when that comes out)
Attila Total War or Rome II (?)
(Possibly) Total War Warhammer II (?)
Thrones of Britannia or Three Kingdoms
Witcher III - The Wild Hunt 
Battletech
Endless Space II - Oddly enough the CPU handles it fine, its a just a bit weak on the GPU side.
Hearts of Iron IV (?) 
Distant Worlds 2 (?)
Imperator  (when that comes out)
Field of Glory: Empire (when released)
So you see where I'm at here.
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose